News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 07:46:01 AM
Re this - who were everyone's preferences for being king/queen?

Robb Stark

Razgovory

I think I was the only guy who was fine with the ending.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2020, 04:57:49 PM
I think I was the only guy who was fine with the ending.

You so crazy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2020, 04:37:57 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 07:46:01 AM
Re this - who were everyone's preferences for being king/queen?

Robb Stark

Stannis Baratheon fanboy here.

The Minsky Moment

I was hoping for an anarcho-syndicalist commune where each Westerosi takes turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. However, all the decisions of that officer would have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Considering sheilbh said he was just starting the show, spoiler tags below.

[spoiler]I like Stannis' ark of believing himself to be a savior, and finding out he wasn't.

The whole story always hinted at Daenerys' rise as the rise of absolute power - it's the consequence of taking for model 15-16th century politics. I suppose she could indeed be killed, but I think her death was handled poorly.

Bran on the throne reminds me too much of Dune. And while myth has plenty of prophet-kings, they usually don't fit well with the politically realist approach taken by Martin. One way to do so would indeed herald a "re-enchanting of the world", that is hinted in the novels.

If Daenerys dies, I think Sansa should have taken the throne. There is also considerable time in the novel dedicated to women seeking to assume power, only to be thwarted by the structure of their society. Sansa's character development allows for some interesting reflections on the topic. [/spoiler]
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 25, 2020, 06:46:14 PM
I was hoping for an anarcho-syndicalist commune where each Westerosi takes turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. However, all the decisions of that officer would have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs.

So long as the question of whether the matter is purely internal can be referred to the commune as a whole should anyone voice an objection, then you have my full support.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 25, 2020, 03:44:15 PM
Wait when did this happen?  All I recall from the book timeline was him getting stabbed.

An interview with Martin in which he stated that the resurrected Jon Snow would not be alive (no heartbeat, no breathing).  He'd be a sort of "good wight."

[spoiler]I very much doubt that martin will have Bran the Impotent take the throne.  That works, kind of, once as a surprise, but the last thing Martin likes to deliver is what the reader expects.  I fully expect Bran to turn into the Big Baddie in the books.

I also think that the White Walker story will be very different in the books.  Remember that the Night King was invented for the show.

Can you say Ice Spiders?[/spoiler]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 25, 2020, 06:48:30 PM
Considering sheilbh said he was just starting the show, spoiler tags below.

Good point.  I've spoilerized my post.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I hope you are right about Bran.  I liked your version a lot better.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2020, 06:53:55 PM

So long as the question of whether the matter is purely internal can be referred to the commune as a whole should anyone voice an objection, then you have my full support.

I suppose you want decisions regarding external affairs to require a two-thirds vote to ratify?

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2020, 07:18:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2020, 06:53:55 PM

I suppose you want decisions regarding external affairs to require a two-thirds vote to ratify?

You read my mind!