News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I watched a trailer of Midsommar and it seems to me the hardest part of the movie to swallow is that Swedes could be eerie and intimidating. :mellow:

The Brain

The Bye Bye Man. College kids rent creepy old house. Two hot chicks, but there's not enough [spoiler]sex scenes[/spoiler], and the slutty hot psychic chick [spoiler]doesn't have sex on camera at all[/spoiler].
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Blackway. Unlikely threesome set out to end small logging town crime lord Ray Liotta's reign of terror. Could have been more than it was.

Eddie Teach

The Nun. Sufficiently tense and creepy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 04, 2020, 07:05:37 AM
The Nun. Sufficiently tense and creepy.

Do you agree with my Aug 13 review?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

mongers

'Atomic Blonde' - what a steaming pile of shite; gave up after 45 min viewing, better things to do, like cleaning the guttering.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

The Irishman.

Best movie of 2019.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Marriage Story.  Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansen get a divorce.  This is kind of three movies layered on top of each other and sometimes they don't blend all that well.  First there's the interpersonal dynamic story, which is very theatrical and stagey.  The stageyness is boosted by the fact that Driver is a hip up and coming avant garde theater director (:bleeding:) and Johansen is his erstwhile teensploitation starlet leading lady.  Then there is the high powered take no prisoners scorched earth LA divorce lawyer story.  Then there is the NY vs LA story.  The whole thing kind of peters out and ends with a whimper, but I suppose there's no other way to end a story about divorce.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2020, 01:30:33 PM
Marriage Story.  Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansen get a divorce.  This is kind of three movies layered on top of each other and sometimes they don't blend all that well.  First there's the interpersonal dynamic story, which is very theatrical and stagey.  The stageyness is boosted by the fact that Driver is a hip up and coming avant garde theater director (:bleeding:) and Johansen is his erstwhile teensploitation starlet leading lady.  Then there is the high powered take no prisoners scorched earth LA divorce lawyer story.  Then there is the NY vs LA story.  The whole thing kind of peters out and ends with a whimper, but I suppose there's no other way to end a story about divorce.

If it ends in a bang, they are going about divorce wrongly (or murderously, depending on what type of "bang").  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Saw The Spy, with Sacha Baron Cohen in the lead role. I thought it was very good.

He did a completely non-comedic role very well.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on January 06, 2020, 02:47:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2020, 01:30:33 PM

If it ends in a bang, they are going about divorce wrongly (or murderously, depending on what type of "bang").  ;)

:shifty:

I studied Italian several years ago.  The professor encouraged us to watch "Divorce Italian Style"; but warned us not to honor kill spouses - unless we were in the Mezzogiorno or on the island of Sicily, in which case it was perfectly acceptable.  (She was from Milan.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Watched the first episode of Moffat's Dracula. It's actually pretty fun if you dig the tone, Hammer film homage with plenty of cheesy one-liners. 

I've read the show takes a nosedive in the following two episodes. We'll see.

Savonarola

After reading Einstein's book on Relativity, I watched an episode of Nova: Black Hole Apocalypse.  They did explain the General Theory of Relativity in the episode.  I thought that was admirable, that PBS was still fighting the good fight FOR SCIENCE! as an increasing number of people believe that the earth is flat.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock