News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Yep. And the Sûreté has its own intelligence branch, the Service central du renseignement territorial.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

On (non-comic) French police dramas, Yi, Spiral is outstanding.

Also Baron Noir is one of the political dramas I've seen in ages.

I think both are on Amazon Prime with, I think, all seasons.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 19, 2019, 07:22:13 PM
On (non-comic) French police dramas, Yi, Spiral is outstanding.

Also Baron Noir is one of the political dramas I've seen in ages.

I think both are on Amazon Prime with, I think, all seasons.

No Amazon Prime, not much interest in French drama.

celedhring

Jack Ryan. First season was decent entertainment, with fun twists and engaging enough characters for a spy thriller. Second traded ISIS for Venezuela (an interesting setting) but it is quite dumb and not much of it makes sense so far. Not sure I'll finish it.

celedhring

Also binged the Witcher over the weekend  :blush:

It's... pretty mixed. Some of the dialogue is rather atrocious, and the plot I believe will be very confusing to somebody that hasn't read the books. CGI is spotty (monsters in daylight look pretty b-movieish). When they try to go full GoT the show creaks, both budget and storytelling-wise.

But the cast works, Cavill does a decent enough job within his limitations as an actor, and everybody in the supporting cast is pretty good. There are some flashes here and there of a good show, like the striga episode, the dragon hunting one, the battle of Sodden... (although, again, script-wise the battle is set up poorly).

For those that wonder, the first season is an adaptation of several short tales of the first two books, interspeded with Yenn's time as a sorceress-in training and Ciri [spoiler]fleeing from Nilfgaard after the fall of Cintra[/spoiler]. The timelines of each arc are different, which is what makes the plot rather confusing.

Berkut

I watched the first episode last night. Not terribly impressed.

And yeah, I really had no idea what was going on, but I just assumed that was intended and it would make sense at some point in the future?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

The jump in timelines confused me a bit at first, but once I got used to that I did like the show.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on December 22, 2019, 11:04:08 AM

And yeah, I really had no idea what was going on, but I just assumed that was intended and it would make sense at some point in the future?

Yeah, the show plays with showing you something and later on give you bits of info to make more sense of it, or add some extra wrinkles to the situation. In particular with the Cintra storyline. But I don't think they are too good at it, the show needs sharper writing.

Second episode is worse than the second imho, but give #3 a chance - I thought that was one of the best in the season. If you don't like that one, you can safely drop the show.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on December 22, 2019, 06:20:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 22, 2019, 11:04:08 AM

Yeah, the show plays with showing you something and later on give you bits of info to make more sense of it, or add some extra wrinkles to the situation. In particular with the Cintra storyline. But I don't think they are too good at it, the show needs sharper writing.

Second episode is worse than the second imho, but give #3 a chance - I thought that was one of the best in the season. If you don't like that one, you can safely drop the show.

I stopped after the 2nd episode, it somehow felt rushed without really having anything to rush through, maybe it's the editing? I'll try the 3rd.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

My other half is watching This is Us.

:bleeding:

What a drama ridden shitfest.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Watching the Witcher and I think I like it. But I understand nothing :mellow: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2019, 08:54:29 PM

Oh dear.

I offer your my commiserations.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2019, 08:54:29 PM

My wife watches that one to.

I only see it in passing but it always looks so dark and broody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Any Quebeckers with Netflix should check out S2E3 of Au Service de la France.  Quebec delegation asking for help to gain independence, French guys not understanding what they say.  :D

Caliga

Been rewatching Star Trek:TNG, since I barely remember the early episodes and haven't seen them since.  As a kid, I didn't realize how bad the first season was.... I'm amazed the show didn't get cancelled rewatching them now. :lol:  Almost every episode goes like this: something bad happens, none of the adults know what to do, and Wesley Crusher saves the day. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points