News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on September 28, 2019, 07:51:57 AM
Watching The Untold History of the United States on Netflix.

:bleeding:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

The little Switzerland - a film about a wee village called Telleria, which is apparently a real place, located somewhere in northern Spain. Its officially part of castile but claims tenuous links to the basque country and wants to join the basque country for the tax breaks. For some reason the basques say no.
But. Surprise. They discover the tomb of William Tells son and a ancient scroll that says they're actually part of Switzerland so they should join Switzerland because they're so rich .
The Swiss just want to rip up the tomb and move it to Altdorf.
Nonetheless the villagers try to be Swiss by learning Swiss German, drinking only Swiss wine, etc... Why they try to learn Swiss German and not French or Italian is beyond me.
These plot points are fairly subsumed beneath... Stuff. Romance sub plots et al.  2 stars.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Jack Ryan. Reminds me of Homeland. Better than the Chris Pine movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I've been watching Jack Ryan too. It is quite good. Like a less silly Homeland.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Rambo Last Blood

More like John Rambo, with all the gore that entails. Rambo goes Punisher but we are far, fortunately, from the MCU.
I still miss Colonel Trautman and can't help thinking the [spoiler]revenge plot[/spoiler] is pretty generic.

Supported by the ministry of Tourism and Cinema Fund

[spoiler]Visit Portugal Pic Portugal[/spoiler]
:hmm:

CGI was not too obnoxious except [spoiler]the final explosions hardly believable.[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 30, 2019, 05:50:04 AM
Rambo Last Blood

More like John Rambo, with all the gore that entails. Rambo goes Punisher but we are far, fortunately, from the MCU.
I still miss Colonel Trautman and can't help thinking the [spoiler]revenge plot[/spoiler] is pretty generic.

CGI was not too obnoxious except [spoiler]the final explosions hardly believable.[/spoiler]

People still come to Hope BC to see the sites where the first Rambo was filmed.  Some chance this will be a draw for tourists who might not otherwise come.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2019, 08:11:59 PM
Can one of the Kebeckers tell me how common the family name Tremblay is?  I noticed one of the actors had that last name (I'm guessing Julian) as did a stripper I talked to in Montreal.
Smith.;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2019, 10:26:56 AM
Rambo Last Blood

People still come to Hope BC to see the sites where the first Rambo was filmed.  Some chance this will be a draw for tourists who might not otherwise come.

I drove through Hope recently and stopped at the visitors centre to use the facilities as it were.  The place was jam packed with Rambo paraphernalia.  The local tourism council has gone all in on the association.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: PRC on September 30, 2019, 11:32:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2019, 10:26:56 AM
Rambo Last Blood

I drove through Hope recently and stopped at the visitors centre to use the facilities as it were.  The place was jam packed with Rambo paraphernalia.  The local tourism council has gone all in on the association.

Not surprising, but this Rambo movie was shot in Spain and Bulgaria, not Portugal.  :P

The Brain

The Deuce, third season. One episode in and Maggie hasn't taken her clothes off.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

A Bigger Splash. Surprisingly explicit early 70s semi-fictionalised account of David Hockney going through a break-up. Deliberately awkwardly acted by Hockney and his real friends. I feel like I get more out of the Hockney pictures of that era, like A Bigger Splash, than that it's worthwhile on its own. But interesting, the pool and water scenes are beautiful and it is an interesting side of queer 70s film-making.

Archipelago. A very formally beautiful film of deliberately framed shots of the types of washed colours that middle class families still paint their walls: greys, unobtrusive greens, duck egg. About a very middle-class family going on holiday to the Scilly Isles as a goodbye for the son, with a painting teacher and a cook, and making each other miserable, and, as this is family, knowing how to make each other miserable. A gorgeous to look at kitchen sink drama for the Waitrose family.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 30, 2019, 03:51:41 PM
The Deuce, third season. One episode in and Maggie hasn't taken her clothes off.

Demand your money back.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Rambo complains about young people and kills them.
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on September 30, 2019, 03:51:41 PM

You need to wait till episode three.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2019, 05:20:06 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2019, 04:06:34 PM
I've started watching "Bojack Horseman."  Thus far the description of J.D. Salinger as: "A man whose inspired millions of English teachers, eighth graders and the occasional assassin" is my favorite line.  Who knew John Hinckley and Mark David Chapman could inspire such joy?  :)

The indulgent self-pity really gets tiresome in that series.

It isn't something I could binge watch; but I do find a lot the jokes funny.  To lighten things up I usually follow it up with the telenovela "Teresa" about a poor Mexican girl who will do anything, including wearing tight, low cut dresses which display her ample bosom and long legs, in order to escape her life of poverty.  (Though, to be fair, it's not yet as wacky as Televonela Mexico usually is.  Thus far only one character has had his parents assassinated by hit men.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock