And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on August 06, 2019, 12:54:56 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 06, 2019, 11:00:10 AM

What was it about this scene you didn't like? Yes, it was fanciful and didn't happen, but apparently Churchill did have a habit of escaping from Whitehall and chatting with men on the street

Just the Hollywood-type sentimental nonsense. Terrible acting from the extras, the utterly unconvincing dialogue and mostly the scene being so jarringly out of step with the rest of the movie.

It was even worse than the glider Spitfire in Dunkirk.

Yes, and what made it worse was that it was supposed to be the dramatic high point of the movie.  It rather made Churchill out to be a weakling who was ready to give up before being "bucked up" by a bunch of nobodies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on August 06, 2019, 01:26:57 PM
Yes, and what made it worse was that it was supposed to be the dramatic high point of the movie.  It rather made Churchill out to be a weakling who was ready to give up before being "bucked up" by a bunch of nobodies.

Nobodies who have read their Macaulay, mind you.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2019, 12:58:12 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2019, 09:32:51 AM
The subway scene was very cringey indeed. The movie isn't very good anyway, but these "great man" oscar bait biopics rarely are. I do think Oldman was great in it though, but I admit not being *that* familiar with Churchill mannerisms.

I mean I wasn't there, but I found it hard to believe it was that universal of a sentiment to fight to the death among the British public. Was it just good luck? If Winston had just happen to be sitting next to some more cowardly civilians would he have just surrendered? :P

What people say and what they actually feel are different things.
It's hard to imagine anyone saying publically that they hoped for surrender.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Interesting that the defense presents their summary after the prosecution in You Kay.  At least that's how it's done in Broadchurch.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2019, 07:30:19 PM
Interesting that the defense presents their summary after the prosecution in You Kay.  At least that's how it's done in Broadchurch.

That's how its done in the USA, except the gubmint gets to go again with a rebuttal after the defense summation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2019, 11:01:48 PM

That's how its done in the USA, except the gubmint gets to go again with a rebuttal after the defense summation.

Defense always goes last over here, too. I thought this was more or less universal in the west?

Admiral Yi

Norsemen has a cute premise.  Let's see how long it can hold up.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on August 08, 2019, 12:42:53 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2019, 11:01:48 PM

Defense always goes last over here, too. I thought this was more or less universal in the west?

Depends whether defence calls evidence.

Defence calls evidence: defence closes first, then Crown.

Defence does not call evidence: Crown closes first, then defence (though limited ability for rebuttal).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Watching The Boys on Amazon Prime.  I'm... 5 episodes in?  It's not bad so far.  It looks like it might take an odd turn with the villain though.  We shall see...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Saw s3 of Stranger Things. Maybe not the strongest season, but still good. Currently watching The Money Heist. Very intricate, it reminds me of the first season of Prison Break.

Also saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Good movie, didn't really feel like Tarantino though. Spiderman Far From Home, lots of fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 08, 2019, 03:50:49 AM
Watching The Boys on Amazon Prime.  I'm... 5 episodes in?  It's not bad so far.  It looks like it might take an odd turn with the villain though.  We shall see...

Who do you see as the villain?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I'm at about episode 5 too.
Seems to be clearly Superman. Though with some obvious string pully corporate manipulation as the true brains.
Shame the Batman analogue is so dull.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Taking a break from Norsemen.  Gross stuff too gross.

Not a whole lot of ethnic diversity in the Gilmoreverse.  Two Koreans and one hispanic with no camera time.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2019, 04:18:15 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 08, 2019, 03:50:49 AM

Who do you see as the villain?
So far?  [spoiler]Homelander in particular, though there are a lot of morally repugnant supes.  Also, the corporation that employs/creates(?) the supes seems pretty messed up[/spoiler].  Granted this could change/evolve as the season finishes.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

One of my bartenders at the Regal Beagle strongly pushed Ozark on Netflix and 15 minutes I'm really digging it.