TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on July 10, 2019, 03:58:38 PM
Raimi's first 2 spideys
Totally disagree with you.  I'd say burn the Heretic, but I am likely to be considered the Heretic :P

One of them, the second one, I think, was clearly made to pander to the religious right, with prayer saving an old woman from a "demon".  They just didn't capture the funny nature Spiderman's adventures, something Marvel did get really well.  Also, the character dynamics weren't totally there, there never was true chemistry between Mary Jane and Spiderman, except when she died.

Logan
Dark Knight
Totally agree.

Spiderverse
Haven't seen it.

Incredibles
Wasn't this an anime kid movie?

QuoteSuperman
Hmm, no.  My stance is similar to your Spidey movies: decent movies, but lacking in so many ways.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 10, 2019, 04:42:09 PM
Original Superman, or...? If so, should throw in Burton's Batmans.

Honourable mention to '60s Batman too. :)

frunk

Raimi's first 2 spideys
Logan
Dark Knight
Spiderverse
Incredibles
Superman

Better films than anything by Marvel.

I'd say the first Iron Man, GotG and Thor: Ragnarok are better than Superman, Dark Knight and the first Raimi Spidey (still a great movie though).  I'd add the second Incredibles and Darkman as being better than anything else Marvel.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2019, 04:54:11 PM

Incredibles

No, it was animated, but not anime, and it wasn't really a kids' movie.

Neil

Quote from: dps on July 10, 2019, 09:36:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2019, 04:54:11 PM

Incredibles

No, it was animated, but not anime, and it wasn't really a kids' movie.
It really was, it just had a story tht appealed to older people as well, and older comic book fans in particular. 

In regard to the general thrust of the argument, I think it's largely a matter of taste.  The Marvel films tend to be somewhat lighter and include more comedic elements, but they're fine films on their own.  I still think that my favorite of the recent superhero films has been Thor 1, but I've enjoyed most of them.  Apocalypse, Dawn of Justice and Justice League were messes, but many other films have been quite good.  I liked Dark Phoenix, and Endgame worked as a capstone to the accomplishment that the MCU has been, even if it wasn't the best film in its own right.  They can still tell stories I'm interested in, and that's what counts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Well holy shit, he lives.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 10, 2019, 04:42:09 PM
Original Superman, or...? If so, should throw in Burton's Batmans.

I prefer Burton's Batmans to anything Marvel too, but I'm willing to consider those more of a tossup.

And I mean first Supes. It is a great film really, it's extremely well directed.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2019, 12:56:05 AM
And I mean first Supes. It is a great film really, it's extremely well directed.

I absolutely adore the 1970s Supes.

But it feels very dated now.  I don't think it's a movie I could get my kids to sit down and watch, for example.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2019, 12:59:21 AM

But it feels very dated now.  I don't think it's a movie I could get my kids to sit down and watch, for example.

But that's because the effects are really dated, but I don't think we should judge a film's quality by the technology that it had access to. Of course, that doesn't mean people have to still enjoy it instead of more modern stuff.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2019, 01:02:16 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2019, 12:59:21 AM

But that's because the effects are really dated, but I don't think we should judge a film's quality by the technology that it had access to. Of course, that doesn't mean people have to still enjoy it instead of more modern stuff.

Actually, Digital FX age even faster than practical effects so while I agree that we should not judge by the then technology, something has to be said about digital getting old quickly, specially with (Ultra) HD formats of today.
Case in point Raimi's first Spiderman. Have not watched in a long while the second.

This is why the B-movie/urban action Punisher movie with Dolph Lundgren stills holds well today, except for those who insist on the ridiculous comic book outfit which does not work for a live action film.

The Brain

Don't remember if it applies to the old Superman (haven't seen it in ages), but generally I think a lot of 70s "action" movies have aged a lot because of their glacial pace and not because of special effects.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

And crappy old practical effects is more of a problem for the Italian Puma Man https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081693 or even more so for the Spanish Super Sonic Man (for celedhring!) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079971:P

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 11, 2019, 05:46:09 AM
And crappy old practical effects is more of a problem for the Italian Puma Man https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081693 or even more so for the Spanish Super Sonic Man (for celedhring!) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079971:P

Turkish Superman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nke4HsuT0jQ
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2019, 05:34:01 AM
Don't remember if it applies to the old Superman (haven't seen it in ages), but generally I think a lot of 70s "action" movies have aged a lot because of their glacial pace and not because of special effects.

It's hard to call 1970s Superman an action movie because there's really very little action.  And yes it moves very slowly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.