News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2019, 04:29:06 AM
I think he's gone down the same rabbit hole as comic book writer Frank Miller.

I mean, Snyder directed 300...  :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Didn't Miller want to write a Batman comic about him going after Al-Qaeda, and when DC blocked that he invented a new character and wrote it anyway?

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on March 31, 2019, 04:52:42 AM
Didn't Miller want to write a Batman comic about him going after Al-Qaeda, and when DC blocked that he invented a new character and wrote it anyway?

He did, but he replaced Batman with a more generic character. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Terror_(graphic_novel)

Apparently he's distanced himself from the comic last year. I did watch Linkara's review of the book, and it was pretty cringeworthy. Kinda worse than his All Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder run.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

All Star Batman & Robin felt like a parody at times. It was a hilarious read. "Are you dense? Are you retarded? I AM THE GODDAMN BATMAN!"

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2019, 06:03:11 AM
All Star Batman & Robin felt like a parody at times. It was a hilarious read. "Are you dense? Are you retarded? I AM THE GODDAMN BATMAN!"

Let's not forget the sadism, mysoginy, and the constant abuse of Diyck Grayson, Age 12.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 11, 2019, 10:06:24 PM
Russian Doll. Groundhog Day set amongst snooty New Yorkers. Lots of fun.

Just finished this.  It's pretty fantastic.  I don't think they quite stuck the landing, but it was a satisfying ending.

celedhring

I loved Russian Doll well enough to finally prompt me to replace "I've got you babe" for "I gotta get up" as my alarm sound.

celedhring

Love Death Robots. It's very uneven, and I'd say the strike rate for me has been under 50%, but since the episodes are so short, even the terrible ones go quickly. And there are a few very good ones.

Be prepared that some of them are pretty neckbeardy (i.e. lots of sex, gratuitous female nudity and various incel fetishes)

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2019, 08:27:47 AM
I loved Russian Doll well enough to finally prompt me to replace "I've got you babe" for "I gotta get up" as my alarm sound.

So, my thoughts on the ending:

Up through the halfway point I thought it was one of the best runs of 4 episodes I had seen,
[spoiler]but I knew they were heading toward the difficult task of wrapping up.  I was fine with them not explaining why this was happening.  It's part of the Groundhog Day/Freaky Friday tradition of minimal explanation of the metaphysics, with only the goal really mattering.  The ending seemed to imply that the two timelines merged or at least converged to a similar outcome, which seems unlikely considering the very different trajectories of the two versions of Alan and Nadia (not to mention Nadia's friends and Beatrice).  I was hoping they would include Nadia's game in the rescue of Alan, with them working together to beat it.

A darker ending would have been the looping versions getting bumped off or disappearing before the timelines merged, leaving the rescued versions to continue.  There was certainly an opening to let the loopers die the way the rescued versions almost did (so looping Nadia falls off the building, looping Alan gets hit by the car).

I don't think each go through spawned a separate timeline, as Nadia theorized, as I think the later ones were missing too much of reality.  [/spoiler]

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2019, 08:30:13 AM
Love Death Robots. It's very uneven, and I'd say the strike rate for me has been under 50%, but since the episodes are so short, even the terrible ones go quickly. And there are a few very good ones.

Be prepared that some of them are pretty neckbeardy (i.e. lots of sex, gratuitous female nudity and various incel fetishes)

Saw the first episode.  I'm planning to see the others but was happily distracted by Russian Doll.

Habbaku

I was amused to see one of the writers was very much a Polish history fanboy--"John Sobieski" being one of the character names and "Sikorski Works" being the producer of Lucky 13.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on March 31, 2019, 10:33:40 AM

I was amused to see one of the writers was very much a Polish history fanboy--"John Sobieski" being one of the character names and "Sikorski Works" being the producer of Lucky 13.

Lucky 13 was one of my favorites.

The other ones I liked: Zima Blue, Good Hunting, Beyond Aquila Rift (the fanservice gets a bit embarassing there, but it's a good twilight zone-ish story), the Yogurt One (great parody of the benevolent AI trope), and the Friendly Hand (I wish Gravity was more like that  :P)

The others I found middling to bad. But as said, the good thing of the format is that even those don't overstay their welcome.

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on March 31, 2019, 09:29:46 AM

Up through the halfway point I thought it was one of the best runs of 4 episodes I had seen,
[spoiler]but I knew they were heading toward the difficult task of wrapping up.  I was fine with them not explaining why this was happening.  It's part of the Groundhog Day/Freaky Friday tradition of minimal explanation of the metaphysics, with only the goal really mattering.  The ending seemed to imply that the two timelines merged or at least converged to a similar outcome, which seems unlikely considering the very different trajectories of the two versions of Alan and Nadia (not to mention Nadia's friends and Beatrice).  I was hoping they would include Nadia's game in the rescue of Alan, with them working together to beat it.

A darker ending would have been the looping versions getting bumped off or disappearing before the timelines merged, leaving the rescued versions to continue.  There was certainly an opening to let the loopers die the way the rescued versions almost did (so looping Nadia falls off the building, looping Alan gets hit by the car).

I don't think each go through spawned a separate timeline, as Nadia theorized, as I think the later ones were missing too much of reality.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Didn't get the feeling their timelines merge at the end. I think the parade at the end was just a visual metaphor of them being together in some way, despite now being separated forever. I think at the end of the show we are left with two separate timelines where the Nadia and Alan in each of them will be happy, even if the Nadia and Alan that know about what happened won't be together.[/spoiler] But I really haven't done much thought about it or read theories on the web. It's just the feeling I got from the ending.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2019, 12:02:50 PM
Quote from: frunk on March 31, 2019, 09:29:46 AM

[spoiler]Didn't get the feeling their timelines merge at the end. I think the parade at the end was just a visual metaphor of them being together in some way, despite now being separated forever. I think at the end of the show we are left with two separate timelines where the Nadia and Alan in each of them will be happy, even if the Nadia and Alan that know about what happened won't be together.[/spoiler] But I really haven't done much thought about it or read theories on the web. It's just the feeling I got from the ending.

[spoiler]From what I've read the ending was a homage to something common in Mexican (?) movies from back in the day, a big party at the end. At some point the actual story ends and then it just goes into cool visuals for the audience.
What actually happened remains a mystery.
Though given the upbeat nature of the ending I'd imagine some kind of merger. Somehow. [/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████