News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Russian Doll. Groundhog Day set amongst snooty New Yorkers. Lots of fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2019, 08:21:43 PM
'Excalibur' of it's time, nice visuals and entertaining enough. Also lovely Irish locations.

Unfortunately, the '80s were not (only) about Carl Orff.  :P
Great movie, indeed. Last time I watched was at the Cinémathèque, on their big screen, as biggly.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 12, 2019, 06:47:24 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2019, 08:21:43 PM
'Excalibur' of it's time, nice visuals and entertaining enough. Also lovely Irish locations.

Unfortunately, the '80s were not (only) about Carl Orff.  :P
Great movie, indeed. Last time I watched was at the Cinémathèque, on their big screen, as biggly.

:cool:

Oh and good point about the 80s.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Captain Marvel

Brie Larson was a delight and Mendelssohn and Jackson were better than I've seen them in a while. A very solid Marvel movie.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

I thought the movie was rather average, but the chemistry between Larson and Jackson saved it. Mendehlson is hilarious in it, too.

It follows the Marvel formula. Jokes, sfx extravaganzas, a rather uncompelling plot. But I was entertained.

Liep

Arrested Devolpment season 5 part 2 episode 1.

Perhaps they should've stopped.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Just rewatched Terminator 2, because why the hell not, and for the first time I realized that John Connor's foster mom (and eventually T-1000) is Private Vasquez from Aliens.

That actress didn't really get much work didn't she? She's probably more menacing as the T-1000 in that phone call scene than Robert Patrick in the entire movie.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2019, 12:05:37 PM
Just rewatched Terminator 2, because why the hell not, and for the first time I realized that John Connor's foster mom (and eventually T-1000) is Private Vasquez from Aliens.

That actress didn't really get much work didn't she? She's probably more menacing as the T-1000 in that phone call scene than Robert Patrick in the entire movie.

That's a really good catch.

She certainly did a convincing gringa.

celedhring

Rather she did a convincing latina, since the actress is Jewish  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2019, 02:03:53 PM

And not a Sepharadi, to boot. ;)

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2019, 02:03:53 PM

Not mutually exclusive.

Eddie Teach

Tell that to Queen Isabella.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/03/jk-rowling-reveals-dumbledore-and-grindelwald-had-an-incredibly-intense-sexual-relationship?utm_campaign=popculturetw&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

QuoteJ.K. Rowling Reveals Dumbledore and Grindelwald Had an 'Incredibly Intense' Sexual Relationship

J.K. Rowling has delved deeper into the complicated relationship between Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald on the special features for the upcoming Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Blu-ray, Radio Times reports. Rowling reveals that there was a "sexual dimension" to their bond, confirming that there was some reciprocity on Grindelwald's part to Dumbledore's affection.

"Their relationship was incredibly intense. It was passionate, and it was a love relationship," Rowling said during the 'Distinctly Dumbledore' feature. "But as happens in any relationship, gay or straight or whatever label we want to put on it, one never knows really what the other person is feeling. You can't know, you can believe you know."

"So I'm less interested in the sexual side – though I believe there is a sexual dimension to this relationship – than I am in the sense of the emotions they felt for each other, which ultimately is the most fascinating thing about all human relationship," Rowling adds.

In 2007, Rowling casually confessed that Dumbledore was gay during a Q&A session with Harry Potter fans. Her admission was followed by the revelation that Dumbledore's love for childhood friend turned dark wizard Grindelwald became his "great tragedy."

Even though Dumbledore's sexual orientation and his feelings toward Grindelwald were a well-known fact, the 2018 film The Crimes of Grindelwald failed to provide any further clarification regarding their relationship, aside from the closeness that these two characters shared.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is currently available via digital download, and will be released March 18 on 3D, 4K, Blu-ray, and DVD.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.