And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2018, 02:12:33 AM
Sorry, I don't keep a book of V's opinions. -_-

My apologies, I didn't expect you to have a Raz-like book of all former Languish-posts. I did not have much time to post so I was going to come back later.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Latest episode of The Walking Dead was great! The series has really turned around since the last couple of seasons, I am looking forward to seeing more!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2018, 10:03:43 AM
I mean yeah we have Drake and all this trap music and mumble rap going on in the pop charts but it is not exactly resonating all over the society.

You are getting old.  I can't remember a time when old people liked the music young people listened to.  Same as it ever was.  Rap is the predominant music form.  I like some of the songs our son plays but mainly I find myself sounding like me dad when I was my son's age and saying a variant of "you call that music?"

Grey Fox

The evolution of Hip Hop from the Disco DJs to today's mainstream is quite astonishing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2018, 11:03:38 AM
I mean yeah we have Drake and all this trap music and mumble rap going on in the pop charts but it is not exactly resonating all over the society.

You are getting old.  I can't remember a time when old people liked the music young people listened to.  Same as it ever was.  Rap is the predominant music form.  I like some of the songs our son plays but mainly I find myself sounding like me dad when I was my son's age and saying a variant of "you call that music?"

I like Drake. Where did I say I don't like pop music? If I didn't like it how would I notice its position in society is changing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2018, 11:42:42 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2018, 11:03:38 AM

I like Drake. Where did I say I don't like pop music? If I didn't like it how would I notice its position in society is changing?

That is interesting logic, why does one have to like a particular form of music in order to realize it has come to dominate pop culture.  That is, I think, the flaw in your theory.  It is not niche music.  It is everywhere.

viper37

Rock and Metal are niche music now.  In the 80s, hard rock/hair bands, that was all the rage, and it seemed like it would go on forever.  Then came Nirvana, uniting Metal and Rock in Grunge.  then came alternative rock.  Now, we're back to Metal and its myriad of subdivisions.

I'm an old man now.

There's the music I like, and the shit I don't like :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2018, 11:47:09 AM
That is, I think, the flaw in your theory.  It is not niche music.  It is everywhere.

Well then we have come down to simply contradictory assertions. I would need to produce data to counter your assertion and that is far more effort than I am willing to spend on this. So I concede.

But I still fail to see any current pop music in this Nutcracker movie, at least looking at the soundtrack.

Eddie Teach

I think he has a point in that it's easier to insulate yourself from popular music these days. (It's always been doable. I've only heard "Livin la Vida loca" once or twice.) But still, Despacito racks up two billion views(on YouTube, no idea how many plays it got on spotify, internet radio, etc.). This is because most people get a little bit curious about what other people are listening to. Also sorting algorithms will push more popular songs on you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2018, 12:01:27 PM
But I still fail to see any current pop music in this Nutcracker movie, at least looking at the soundtrack.
I said there wasn't pop music in this Nutcracker movie, compared to other Disney movies, and that seems to be what critics focuses on: it's not like Frozen or Mohana.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 05, 2018, 12:04:59 PM
I think he has a point in that it's easier to insulate yourself from popular music these days. (It's always been doable. I've only heard "Livin la Vida loca" once or twice.) But still, Despacito racks up two billion views(on YouTube, no idea how many plays it got on spotify, internet radio, etc.). This is because most people get a little bit curious about what other people are listening to. Also sorting algorithms will push more popular songs on you.

Nothing about pop being dead though. I think Cc is right, you are old, V.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2018, 12:23:00 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 05, 2018, 12:04:59 PM

Nothing about pop being dead though.

The point I was trying to make is that it's position in society has changed. Dead might not have been the right term. We might both be right.

QuoteI think Cc is right, you are old, V.

Meh. I do not think that is relevant. I am either wrong or I am correct. My age has nothing to do with it.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2018, 12:34:24 PM
QuoteI think Cc is right, you are old, V.

Meh. I do not think that is relevant. I am either wrong or I am correct. My age has nothing to do with it.
It is.
In my experience, if you are old, you are right, even if you are wrong.
If you are young, you are wrong, even if you are right.
;)

crazy canuck

:lol:

V, I was in Toronto during their Nuit Blanche celebration.  Thousands of people walking through downtown Toronto taking in art of every form - lots of music being played throughout.  The predominant music was rap or some variant.  As a side note it was a lot of fun  :)

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2018, 07:50:01 PM
Pop music is shit right now but kids are still definitely listening to it.

Pop music is always shit to the previous generations
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011