News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Apparently I just noticed a pun (intended? unintended? who knows!) in Frasier I missed before (and so did the laugh track):

"If you're new to DVD, you might want to rent the director's cut of Das Boot. It's amazing. I mean, if you don't mind SUB TITLES."   :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

The TV series Deutschland86 season started about two weeks ago. It's about government operatives and officials in East Germany in the 80s. Pretty interesting show. In German with sub titles.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on November 03, 2018, 10:00:50 AM
The TV series Deutschland86 season started about two weeks ago. It's about government operatives and officials in East Germany in the 80s. Pretty interesting show. In German with sub titles.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Liked 83.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Finally finished series 2 of Handmaid's Tale, bit of a slog it turned out. Pretty stupid ending too, and that whole Colonies story line seemed completely redundant. Not sure if I'll keep watching this.

viper37

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Widely trashed by the critics.  Can't understand why, except that critics are dumb?

Mains complaints were:
- This is not the same Nutcracker we grew up with (duh!  Then they complain Disney has no originalty by rehashing its classics...)
- There is not enough songs & dances (re-duh! Kids can't understand anything else than basic pop music?)
- The plot is convoluted (oh!  look!  The lines aren't clear from the beginning who's evil and who's not!)

The movie was enjoyable for an adult.  Not great, but we ain't the target audience.  Something critics might be advised to take in consideration when reviewing a children's movie.

My 6 year old niece was happy to see a "princess" movie (I still prefer her princesses to be gun/ligthsaber wielding though...) and really enjoyed the movie. And I enjoyed spending time with my goddaughter and spoiling her a bit :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2018, 06:20:39 PM
- This is not the same Nutcracker we grew up with (duh!  Then they complain Disney has no originalty by rehashing its classics...)

So it is the Nutcracker. But probably stupider. I don't understand how you can brag on this movie for being 'original' when they use 'The Nutcracker' name. It is not original. It is a remake/reboot/whatever. And Disney ALWAYS changes their source material to disneyfy it.

Quote- There is not enough songs & dances (re-duh! Kids can't understand anything else than basic pop music?)

I see zero evidence that kids only like pop music. Pop music is all but dead anyway these days.

Quote- The plot is convoluted (oh!  look!  The lines aren't clear from the beginning who's evil and who's not!)

A convoluted nonsensical plot! Now that is what the kids love!

I don't know man. You don't make it sound like a good kid's movie :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2018, 06:37:47 PM
Pop music is dead?

Perhaps a bit premature but it is not exactly doing great. I have stated my opinion on this matter previously.

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 04, 2018, 06:40:30 PM
I suspect he means rock.

No. If I meant rock I would have said rock.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Pop music is shit right now but kids are still definitely listening to it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2018, 07:45:06 PM

Eh, "pop" is always changing. In the 80s it meant light rock like Madonna or Michael Jackson, now it's likely to have more hip-hop or electronic influences, in the future it will sound like something else.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2018, 06:27:52 PM
So it is the Nutcracker. But probably stupider. I don't understand how you can brag on this movie for being 'original' when they use 'The Nutcracker' name. It is not original. It is a remake/reboot/whatever. And Disney ALWAYS changes their source material to disneyfy it.
There are more than one Nutcracker stories, I did not know about that before this week-end.  This is the lesser known story of the two.

It's not "original" original, but it's not the same story we see every year around Christmas with different looking characters.

That critics complain it's not the same is baffling.  They'll rave for Mary Poppins, I guess.

I see zero evidence that kids only like pop music. Pop music is all but dead anyway these days.
Whatever you call the music in Mohana and Frozen.

A convoluted nonsensical plot! Now that is what the kids love!
It ain't nonsensical, from my point of view.  And like I said, she liked it.

I don't know man. You don't make it sound like a good kid's movie :hmm:
Let me put it that way:
I'd rather see this one more time than sitting once more through Libérée, délivréeeee... ;)

I wouldn't recommend this for BB's boys.  I wouldn't recommend it for any boys, I'd say bring them to Episode IX or the next Marvel.

Like I said in my review, it's a kid's movie.  Aimed at little girls.  She's 6 years old, she was happy to see it and she liked it.  And it wasn't as bad as critics said it was.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 04, 2018, 08:00:53 PM

Eh, "pop" is always changing. In the 80s it meant light rock like Madonna or Michael Jackson, now it's likely to have more hip-hop or electronic influences, in the future it will sound like something else.

Indeed.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2018, 06:37:47 PM
Pop music is dead?

Perhaps a bit premature but it is not exactly doing great. I have stated my opinion on this matter previously.

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 04, 2018, 06:40:30 PM
I suspect he means rock.

Sorry, I don't keep a book of V's opinions. -_-

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 04, 2018, 08:00:53 PM

Well yeah but that happened decades ago.

I think the internet has just made the music industry very 'niche' these days. We have been predicting this for decades and it sure seems like we are getting close, we are seeing big pop acts release flop albums pretty regularly. I mean yeah we have Drake and all this trap music and mumble rap going on in the pop charts but it is not exactly resonating all over the society. It is great for the people who are into that, but that is more of a very big niche I think. I mean Viper says this music is all over the movie...but I don't see it looking at the soundtrack. Is Andrea Bocelli a big pop act now?

I am not even saying I dislike that music. Just what I have observed. Before even if you really did not like Taylor Swift or Michael Jackson or whatever you were at least aware of it. Hell you might even be sick of it being overplayed...I am not seeing that right now.