Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2018, 08:54:14 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2018, 08:30:18 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 29, 2018, 07:36:05 PM
I guess that Caddyshack is one of those movies that Americans rave all over them and the rest of the world collectively shrug their shoulders, right?  :unsure:

Animal House being another one.

Porky's and Up the Creek were huge when I was a kid, though.

To be fair that was back in the ancient times when Hollywood still made movies to please the American audience instead of the whole fucking world like today. Now they have to make sure the Chinese will see it first.
nothing that tariffs and a few Twitter rants can't fix!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 30, 2018, 01:28:07 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 30, 2018, 12:28:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2018, 11:36:24 AM
But none of that is different from when I was a student a decade ago. :hmm:

So when you have kids in college, you can tell them that, and thereby shape their expectations of college accordingly.

Parents of kids in college these days are in their mid 40s to mid 50s. They were not college age in the 1970s or 1980s, but they grew up consuming these sorts of movies. As far as I can tell, their experience of college was certainly not Animal Farm, but you could still see remnants of it, and live through at least some equivalence of similar experiences of socialization. As time went by, the discrepancy widened (and the specific college makes a difference, too - some schools always had a reputation for being party schools.). In ten, twenty years, college kids will no longer have these expectations, and their parents will probably not have the same romantic notions about college.

What I do know now, is that many students report disappointment in that their college experience was much more isolating than what their parents had led them to believe.

A factual quibble.  I am in my early 50s and I went to university in the 80s.

My own view is that the isolation being felt is part of the wider trend of isolation caused by everyone spending time staring at their screens and engaging over social media.  I was recently on campus at UBC and as I walked through a cafeteria most everyone was eating while staring at their phones.  Very little social interaction was occurring on a direct personal level.   
back in the day, everyone would have been reading a book, a newspaper, simply eating...

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2018, 12:56:55 PM
back in the day, everyone would have been reading a book, a newspaper, simply eating...

Not in my day, the caf was loud with people talking to eachother.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2018, 10:58:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2018, 11:31:23 AM
I was there on a mission.
Searching for Ivana Fuckalot?

In the Electrical Engineering department? :hmm: I see the error in my strategy now :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Watching "Babylon Berlin", a high quality German crime TV series. It shows Berlin in 1929, with nationalists, communists, swinging 20s and ordinary people. Very well made.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on October 31, 2018, 03:09:46 PM
Watching "Babylon Berlin", a high quality German crime TV series. It shows Berlin in 1929, with nationalists, communists, swinging 20s and ordinary people. Very well made.

Thanks, I was wondering whether to give that a try.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2018, 01:01:07 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2018, 12:56:55 PM

Not in my day, the caf was loud with people talking to eachother.
Not in my experiences.  A few groups here and there, but not the majority.  In the student room, I just sad and read the Globe&Mail and The Gazette.  First time I could read english canadian newspapers.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2018, 01:51:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2018, 10:58:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2018, 11:31:23 AM
I was there on a mission.
Searching for Ivana Fuckalot?

In the Electrical Engineering department? :hmm: I see the error in my strategy now :P
yes, I suffered the same fate in finance :(

Malthus

I met the woman I later married in my university cafeteria ... actually, it was her (male) friend who introduced us. Much to his regret.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2018, 03:25:21 PM
I met the woman I later married in my university cafeteria ... actually, it was her (male) friend who introduced us. Much to his regret.  :D

As did I  :)  I was sitting at a table talking to some people who all knew each other when I saw a tall gorgeous woman walking in our direction.  I was very happy when they called out to her and even happier when I realized the only seat available was next to me. I was able to strike up a conversation (barely) and the rest is history.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2018, 03:48:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2018, 03:25:21 PM

As did I  :)  I was sitting at a table talking to some people who all knew each other when I saw a tall gorgeous woman walking in our direction.  I was very happy when they called out to her and even happier when I realized the only seat available was next to me. I was able to strike up a conversation (barely) and the rest is history.

In my case, I was between classes, drawing an album cover for a (crappy) amateur hour heavy metal band because I owed the singer a favour, when this guy looked over my shoulder and struck up a conversation about it. A few minutes later, he was joined by this beautiful woman, and he introduced us ... and I've been with her 31 years now!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

So I guess you both only went to College to get your MR degrees :angry:

Wait...that doesn't work :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."