News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2018, 02:29:59 PM
So you just draw arbitrary rules around things / want to make sure that fantasy characters conform to the historical racism that there was in society?
I choose not to see racism everywhere.

English speaking americans or english speaking British actors/actresses are often casts as French people, I fail to see any outrage.

Why, in the hell couldn't Wonder Woman be a black woman? All white woman clause for the fictional Amazons? The most recent Wonder Woman outing wasn't even set in the same time period that she's typically seen in.
Because she's a classical Greek.  Classical Greeks were white people, not black.  They also own slaves who were mostly white, just like Romans.  Race wasn't an issue of colour back then, it shouldn't be if you transpose this integral story today.

If you want to reinvent the entire mythology, sure, go ahead, cast an asian dude, but don't call it "Wonder Woman" and tie it into DC mythology.

Also, if you want race and gender to not be featured prominently, then have a black soldier hero in the 30s where no character reacts to that. ;)
In an alternate/fictional universe, why not?

I'd prefer to see them now, though.  Blacks, asians, gays, whatever, race/gender is not an issue and not a plot point.  Girl has a girlfriend, boy has a boyfriend, why not, but don't try to make it *about* this.

You make Ciri black, and you have a white girl chased by White men.  Impossible to not link it to slavery issues, and that's not the point about the series.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 14, 2018, 04:03:45 PM
I'm not understanding this argument that some fictional fantasy and has to conform to European racial prejudices
That is the problem, precisely.
There is no European racial prejudices there.

Does every single modern tv series/movie/theater play be about historical racial/gender/orientation prejudices?  That's goddam annoying.  Can't we just have good tv that concentrate on the plot, not on the characters and their feelings?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on September 13, 2018, 02:24:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2018, 02:14:04 PM
Yeah they should just be happy if the show is not a complete trainwreck like it is likely to be.

Yeah, not really confident with the showrunner they picked up. The Defenders was really mediocre.

I fear this is what will happen. The show will turn out to be complete dross and the poor young actress who plays Ciri will be scapegoated and be forced off of Twitter or Instagram or Facebook and whatever else and stalked and threatened by basement dwellers, racists, and assholes in general for the rest of her life.

Of course, the show could win every Emmy available and the fucksticks would still make her life a living hell.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on September 14, 2018, 04:03:45 PM
I'm not understanding this argument that some fictional fantasy and has to conform to European racial prejudices because to do otherwise would be somehow ahistorical.  The story has magic and supernatural monsters, but it is a particular skin tone that is somehow unacceptably unrealistic while the magic and monsters are okay?

Somebody needs to move out of mom's basement.

Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on September 14, 2018, 04:15:03 PM
Because she's a classical Greek.

She is not "classical Greek" - she is a fictitious person in the 20th century given an origin story as an "Amazon" - a fictitious people imagined by classical Greeks. Amazons were not Greek - classical or otherwise - Amazons never existed, and even the fictional portrayals in the classical era did not usually conceive of them as Greek, but Scythian.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 14, 2018, 04:18:16 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 13, 2018, 02:24:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2018, 02:14:04 PM
Yeah they should just be happy if the show is not a complete trainwreck like it is likely to be.

Yeah, not really confident with the showrunner they picked up. The Defenders was really mediocre.

I fear this is what will happen. The show will turn out to be complete dross and the poor young actress who plays Ciri will be scapegoated and be forced off of Twitter or Instagram or Facebook and whatever else and stalked and threatened by basement dwellers, racists, and assholes in general for the rest of her life.

Of course, the show could win every Emmy available and the fucksticks would still make her life a living hell.

Hell they drove that Asian actress who played the new character in that terrible new Star Wars trilogy off the internet and she was playing an entirely new character. I am not sure what these fanatics think they are achieving.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 14, 2018, 05:19:11 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 14, 2018, 04:15:03 PM
Because she's a classical Greek.

She is not "classical Greek" - she is a fictitious person in the 20th century given an origin story as an "Amazon" - a fictitious people imagined by classical Greeks. Amazons were not Greek - classical or otherwise - Amazons never existed, and even the fictional portrayals in the classical era did not usually conceive of them as Greek, but Scythian.

Well she was designed around a comic book character anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Black Panther.

It was allright.  I liked it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2018, 09:50:24 PM
Black Panther.

It was allright.  I liked it.

Yeah I do not like Comic Movies that much and it was...well...a comic book movie. It was alright.

People really liked it though so hoping for more African stuff that is not super heroes.

Syt

Speaking of superhero movies - I admit I'm a bit out of the loop as I haven't seen the MCU movies after Age of Ultron, but - to take an arbitrary standard - based on Rotten Tomatoes, there's no Marvel movie under 66%(Thor: The Dark World, Hulk has 67%) or "fresh", with ca. 20 titles out over the last 10 years: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/marvel-cinematic-universe-movies-by-tomatometer/

Compare that to DC's series where the highest rated is Wonder Woman (93% - equal with Black Panther), with the next best being Man of Steel at 55% (Bats v Supes is lowest at 27%, 1% behind Suicide Squad).

Why has Marvel been able to deliver reasonably good quality for 10 years while DC is just flailing about? Not to mention that they put out some decent TV shows (some good, some bad) along with this?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Because DC superheroes are wimps.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

Turns out that if you fake a relationship with someone, to hide from your feelings for your sister's recent ex-boyfriend, you might just find you are in love with your fake partner.  Also, people will respond well to love letters that you wrote them years ago.

Not sure if many on Languish will benefit from those very specific lessons. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Bojack Horseman delivers again.  Not as showy as some other seasons, but quality all the way through.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2018, 02:00:01 AM
Speaking of superhero movies - I admit I'm a bit out of the loop as I haven't seen the MCU movies after Age of Ultron, but - to take an arbitrary standard - based on Rotten Tomatoes, there's no Marvel movie under 66%(Thor: The Dark World, Hulk has 67%) or "fresh", with ca. 20 titles out over the last 10 years: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/marvel-cinematic-universe-movies-by-tomatometer/

Compare that to DC's series where the highest rated is Wonder Woman (93% - equal with Black Panther), with the next best being Man of Steel at 55% (Bats v Supes is lowest at 27%, 1% behind Suicide Squad).

Why has Marvel been able to deliver reasonably good quality for 10 years while DC is just flailing about? Not to mention that they put out some decent TV shows (some good, some bad) along with this?

DC didn't know what they were doing and hired Zack Snyder for their marquee movies.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.