News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

There's a new Predator coming out! And I believe it's out this week. I love those movies! I had been wondering if we'd see another one soon and yep, sure enough there is.  :)  I'd like to see more interaction with the Predators, find out more about them. Alien vs Predator, happening at the South Pole, was pretty cool. One human woman would up working with the last Predator to fight their way out.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 12, 2018, 08:42:27 AM
Better Call Saul this week - bit of a weak episode, IMHO. The German guys ... the architect is a German actor and his German bits feel very natural (he's from Kiel, apparently), but the German by the workers sounded almost like voice actors. It was not natural dialogue. :D

The flashback at the start was likely Feb/Mar 1993, because that's the only year both Al Pacino and Emma Thompson were nominated for an Oscar. :P

It's not just me thinking things are going to go Taj Mahal with the Germans right?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2018, 05:09:02 AM
It's not just me thinking things are going to go Taj Mahal with the Germans right?

Oh, they're dead meat for sure. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2018, 05:09:02 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 12, 2018, 08:42:27 AM
Better Call Saul this week - bit of a weak episode, IMHO. The German guys ... the architect is a German actor and his German bits feel very natural (he's from Kiel, apparently), but the German by the workers sounded almost like voice actors. It was not natural dialogue. :D

The flashback at the start was likely Feb/Mar 1993, because that's the only year both Al Pacino and Emma Thompson were nominated for an Oscar. :P

All gonna go pear shaped, tits up...etc.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

There's a rumor that the production company for the Witcher series has put out a casting call for Ciri to be played by a woman of color.

So naturally Slavs get their panties in a twist, e.g.:

https://imgur.com/t/gaming/uz97RVW

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Damn. I would hate to see what that person might write if the rumors were true.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

And this is why my medievalist colleagues must now address the issue of white supremacy in their classes.
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

More people looking for reasons to be offended.  Mythical monsters don't belong to anyone.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Can't you even culturally appropriate a fantasy world?  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on September 13, 2018, 02:04:44 PM
Can't you even culturally appropriate a fantasy world?  :hmm:

I mean yeah if it is some sort of folklore.

But even so I don't think this applies here :P

I mean cultural appropriation is more than just casting John Wayne to play Genghis Khan...despite that being a hilariously terrible idea. It is when some large powerful entity just takes something wholesale and takes all the credit for it. Like, in a wild and crazy example, some record company getting Elvis or somebody to play another culture's music.  At least that is my understanding, it is a fairly nebulous term that is...um...appropriated for all sorts of meanings :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 13, 2018, 01:56:36 PM
And this is why my medievalist colleagues must now address the issue of white supremacy in their classes.

People were pissed about a black starfire too for the new DC tv show. i don't think it's always racism (although a lot of the times it is) its just that fans are weird and get heavily invested. They're fanatics after all.

That being said it's a stupid tv show based on a game. people will live.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Yeah they should just be happy if the show is not a complete trainwreck like it is likely to be.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2018, 02:14:04 PM
Yeah they should just be happy if the show is not a complete trainwreck like it is likely to be.

Yeah, not really confident with the showrunner they picked up. The Defenders was really mediocre.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 13, 2018, 01:56:36 PM
That's a sure way of creating a cohort of easily offended young adults who find prejudice everywhere.

You don't cast blacks because they're black and need to be casted, that's just stupid.  It has nothing to white supremacy to resist the urge of americanizing everything in the world.  I thought a nationalist like you would have understood that.  I am extremely disapointed.

Slavs are massively white.  Not black or yellow or pink or green.  Most of the characters in the Witcher series are white, slavic in their ways.  There's a strong analogy to what that girl is writing about: the strong neighbour preying on its weaker neighbours, fucking up their economy, their politics, killing their peasants, inciting hatred among groups for its own purpose, the disunity of these small neighbours, etc, etc.

I'd be really pissed off if Netflix did a series on a black D'Iberville.  Or an asian Louis XIV.

That would be totally, totally retarded.

Portraying John Wayne as Ghenghis Khan is stupid.  Using a white actress to portray an asian actress that looks white isn't cultural approriation, no more than a Toronto restaurant offering poutine on its menu is.

That is Ciri:

If you want to create a black monster fighting hero, please do so!  Call her Buffy the Vampire Slayer even.  Call her something else.  Invent your own story.  Use characters of all diversity.

Their excellent Frontier show is a good example of excellent casting choices.  There's no black merchant in Montreal, that didn't exist in 1790.  There's no ninjas either.  Indians act like indians of the time acted in the North, the lead actor does look like he could be Metis (even if he's Hawaiian), that is just perfect, imho.

There's no more need to blackwash stuff then there is need to whitewash it.

I really, really, really hate that new tendancy to cast blacks everywhere just because they're black.
But we've been down that road before and you will, again, disagree with me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I will say that I do think that it is a bit ridiculous. Black Panther showed that there is a lot of interest in African stories. Why not make a show about some kind of African mythology if you really want to cast black actors? I am sure we would rather see that than another godawful video game adaptation anyway.