News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 12, 2018, 01:01:20 PM
I guess if you want to reduce a movie like that, you're not going to enjoy much of anything.

Romeo and Juliet - boy meets girl, fall in love and commit suicide. 

May have missed a couple of plot points.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2018, 03:09:34 AM
I didn't get Fury Road.

Thats because it's OK. Not the best action movie of this century.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Godfather - mob boss gets shot, son gets whacked, other son takes over.
Godfather 2 - other bad guys plot against son, he turns the table and whacks them all, then has brother shot.

Hey this is fun.

Citizen Kane - jerk marries bad singer and builds opera house, says "rosebud" but it's just a McGuffin.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Fascination with the Mad Max movies have always puzzled me. They were ok at best, and most are boring.

Josquius

Some films are about visuals and style rather than plot.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2018, 03:16:38 AM
Fascination with the Mad Max movies have always puzzled me. They were ok at best, and most are boring.

Way to change the subject.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

You don't need lots of plot in order to have a good story. I think Fury Road manages that.

Certainly if you don't enjoy it that's totally fine.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 13, 2018, 08:22:46 AM
You don't need lots of plot in order to have a good story. I think Fury Road manages that.

Certainly if you don't enjoy it that's totally fine.

Yes to all of that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

No one's talking about "the Mad Max movies". We're talking about Fury Road.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on March 13, 2018, 11:00:57 AM

No one's talking about "the Mad Max movies". We're talking about Fury Road.

I kind-of agree with Tamas about Fury Road.  Maybe it was just the expectations game - from places like Languish I was told it was going to be some truly epic action movie.  I found it perfectly serviceable but kind of silly - Doof Warrior in particular.

As for "the Mad Max movies"...  Road Warrior and the first half of Beyond Thunderdome are excellent, and clearly more than "ok at best".  Second half of Thunderdome just kind of loses the plot and comes unglued, while the original Mad Max... is just a really low budget Australian 70s flick that I found hard to get into.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

Fury Road is a mistake-free action film, just like John Wick. There are literally no technical errors, and the entire plot can be discerned if you watch the film with the volume off. It's a testament to disciplined film-making, and a rejection of the Michael Bay school of garbage editing and poorly structured sight-lines, frenetic actions scenes, and busy camera work.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Scipio on March 13, 2018, 11:25:37 AM
Fury Road is a mistake-free action film, just like John Wick. There are literally no technical errors, and the entire plot can be discerned if you watch the film with the volume off. It's a testament to disciplined film-making, and a rejection of the Michael Bay school of garbage editing and poorly structured sight-lines, frenetic actions scenes, and busy camera work.

+1
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

John Wick.... Most legit excuse for a vengeful rampage ever.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Yeah, Fury Road has probably the best-directed action scenes since... Terminator 2? Everything's so clean, yet still dynamic. No bullshit quick editing for editing's sake, no bullshit camera shaking, the camera's always where it needs to be.

I love that film.