Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 26, 2017, 10:33:05 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2017, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 26, 2017, 07:51:13 PM
I tried watching The Man in the High Castle. Dull. Only interesting characters are Nazis and the Jap secret policeman.

That's what I've been saying.  :)

The "heroes" are boring as hell, and painful to watch.

You should try to hold up for S2 though...lot's more alt-history Nazi Reich pr0n.  :P

Yeah, I agree.  The heroes aren't even very likable.  They just sort of exist.  I did like the Japanese secret policeman though.

The best actor/character on the show, I think.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2017, 03:51:04 PM
That's a lot of actors who were famous 20-30 years ago. :mellow:

Never heard of McShane 20 years ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2017, 03:19:54 PM
Anyone see season 2 of The Last Kingdom?

I thought it was pretty good!

Yes, better than series one.

I like how Alfred is becoming more of manipulator and the hero character is rounding out from his previous two dimensions.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2017, 08:27:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2017, 03:19:54 PM
Anyone see season 2 of The Last Kingdom?

I thought it was pretty good!

Yes, better than series one.

I like how Alfred is becoming more of manipulator and the hero character is rounding out from his previous two dimensions.

It was OK, but better than s1?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 27, 2017, 08:03:18 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2017, 03:51:04 PM
That's a lot of actors who were famous 20-30 years ago. :mellow:

Never heard of McShane 20 years ago.

I don't think I ever watched the show, but I remember seeing A&E ads for Lovejoy starring McShane in the early 90s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Oasis: Supersonic (2017)

I didn't realize Oasis was so big in the UK; they said something like 4% of the population applied for tickets for the concert at Knebworth.  While I did realize that the Gallagher brothers were jackasses; I was a little surprised to see that they made absolutely no effort to change that perception in this film (Liam and Noel were executive producers of the film.)  I was also surprised that Noel got so many accolades for his songwriting when he's inclined to write lyrics like: "Slowly walking down the hall / Faster than a cannonball."

The film only covers the period from their formation to the concert at Knebworth (1996.)  That's probably for the best, their subsequent albums didn't live up to "(What's the Story) Morning Glory" and there was no redemption for the band; I believe Noel and Liam still aren't talking to each other.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

That would be awkward if executive producers had to do anything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 27, 2017, 11:51:42 AM
That would be awkward if executive producers had to do anything.

Apparently they don't even need to speak to one another.  In any event the brothers provided the bulk of the narration of the film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

So....Twin Peaks anyone?

By and large, as someone who is old enough to have been in his 20s during the initial run, I was looking forward to it, but mostly, I realize now, for nostalgia's sake. I wanted the action to take place in the town of Twin Peaks, and featuring a lot of recurring characters. Sadly, that hasn't been the case at all.

Still, the last episode has to be the strangest TV episode...evuh
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: Josephus on June 27, 2017, 03:54:38 PM
So....Twin Peaks anyone?

By and large, as someone who is old enough to have been in his 20s during the initial run, I was looking forward to it, but mostly, I realize now, for nostalgia's sake. I wanted the action to take place in the town of Twin Peaks, and featuring a lot of recurring characters. Sadly, that hasn't been the case at all.

Even stranger than the final episode of The Prisoner?

Josephus

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2017, 06:18:19 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 27, 2017, 03:54:38 PM
So....Twin Peaks anyone?

Even stranger than the final episode of The Prisoner?

The original, or the remake?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

I gave up on Man in the High Castle. I tried, but I fell asleep trying to continue.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Haven't seen any of the second season of Billions.  Found myself working too hard to forgive lapses last season.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2017, 07:48:17 PM
I gave up on Man in the High Castle. I tried, but I fell asleep trying to continue.

You would dig Narcos.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2017, 07:53:08 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2017, 07:48:17 PM

You would dig Narcos.

Didn't care for it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive