News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

BBC America is a stand alone for profit venture.  They're trying to make money, not spread British soft power.

Ed Anger

Bring back the nun viewing art.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2017, 09:54:16 PM
BBC America is a stand alone for profit venture.  They're trying to make money, not spread British soft power.

But it just doesn't look good.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2017, 09:55:27 PM

Indeed.  It'd be like RT playing "Red Dawn", or Al Jazeera America showing "Delta Force".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 23, 2017, 09:56:53 PM
or Al Jazeera America showing "Delta Force".

Navy SEALs

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2017, 10:01:44 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 23, 2017, 09:56:53 PM
or Al Jazeera America showing "Delta Force".

Navy SEALs.

The first few minutes of The Naked Gun.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 23, 2017, 10:21:27 PM
The first few minutes of The Naked Gun.

You win.

And they've been running that this weekend.  "You forget, my dear, I was once a building contractor."

Tonitrus

Halfway through binge-watching Season 2 of Man in the High Castle this weekend.

Just like the first season...the "Axis" characters/actors are far better and more compelling.  The "heroes" (Joe Blake, Julianna, Frank) are mostly unsympathetic and poorly acted.

I am also kind of intrigued by how they're portraying Hitler as anti-(nuclear)war.  It probably fits with what would have been his real mindset (especially after achieving his almost total victory), but against popular conceptions.

dps

It also doesn't jibe very well with their advertising slogan, "The Best of British Television".

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on April 23, 2017, 11:58:48 PM

It also doesn't jibe very well with their advertising slogan, "The Best of British Television".

They clearly dispensed of that a long time ago.

Maladict

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 23, 2017, 11:04:50 PM

Just like the first season...the "Axis" characters/actors are far better and more compelling.  The "heroes" (Joe Blake, Julianna, Frank) are mostly unsympathetic and poorly acted.

I am also kind of intrigued by how they're portraying Hitler as anti-(nuclear)war.  It probably fits with what would have been his real mindset (especially after achieving his almost total victory), but against popular conceptions.

The pace and story picks up quite a bit in the second half. Even the acting seems to improve a bit, but as you say only the Smith family and the Japanese leaders are any good. And CGI Germania  :cool:
Not as cringeworthy as what came before, but it's still a godawful mess imo.

Josquius

I should really try and watch man in the high castle again. Stalled last time around.
The Conservative American slant it takes puts me off. Unlikely the nazis would ban the Bible.

The Founder - story of the founding of McDonald's. In parts looks like McDonald's funded propeganda in others less so. Overall Meh.

The Navigators - A Ken Loach film I'm not seen before. Despite the dull sounding subject matter it's actually very good. Privatisation is the devil.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Maladict on April 24, 2017, 04:24:22 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 23, 2017, 11:04:50 PM

The pace and story picks up quite a bit in the second half. Even the acting seems to improve a bit, but as you say only the Smith family and the Japanese leaders are any good. And CGI Germania  :cool:
Not as cringeworthy as what came before, but it's still a godawful mess imo.

Finished it today.  You're right though, it really drags in the middle episodes, but picks up well towards the end.

I think the best actor on the show is Joel de la Fuente (Inspector Kido).  He deserves a fucking Emmy.

Also...[spoiler]Kind of amusing that Himmler comes out as sort of a "hero" for the peace-loving Nazi faction.  Outside of the show, I'd have expected him and Heydrich to be butt-buddy warmongers.  In fact, the made-up Hitler-deposer was kind of lame...that should have been Himmler's role.[/spoiler]

Grey Fox

Man in the HC

[spoiler]Will Joe Smith become the new Fuhrer?[/spoiler]
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 24, 2017, 05:55:35 AM
Finished it today.  You're right though, it really drags in the middle episodes, but picks up well towards the end.

I think the best actor on the show is Joel de la Fuente (Inspector Kido).  He deserves a fucking Emmy.

Also...[spoiler]Kind of amusing that Himmler comes out as sort of a "hero" for the peace-loving Nazi faction.  Outside of the show, I'd have expected him and Heydrich to be butt-buddy warmongers.  In fact, the made-up Hitler-deposer was kind of lame...that should have been Himmler's role.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yes, the Himmler part was pretty silly and I'm not sure why they needed a fictional Heusman character to succeed Hitler. Especially as he pointed out he was chosen as he was a party outsider, why not just go with Doenitz? Or an alternate, non-turncoat Rommel. He would have made a believable lebensborn.[/spoiler]