TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Suicide Squad was some stupid shit.

Pan was moderately cool.

Josephus

Better Call Saul.

[spoiler]Didn't quite understand the whole gas tank cap thing. There was a tracer in his gas tank. Why would someone drive over to take it out? And how did he figure out that would happen?[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on April 16, 2017, 07:30:38 AM
Better Call Saul.

[spoiler]Didn't quite understand the whole gas tank cap thing. There was a tracer in his gas tank. Why would someone drive over to take it out? And how did he figure out that would happen?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]  He assumed he had to have been tracked.  We know he is smart enough to figure that any tracker will have a battery, and that battery will eventually run out of juice.  With the system he got for himself, he discovered that it will tell the owner that the battery is low.  So he assumed they would send a flunky to swap out the battery, so he spoofed the system with his own, drained the battery, and lured them out so that he could track 'em down, replacing their own tracker with his spoofed one.[/spoiler]

Josquius

The wailing - Korean horror film. Starts comedic. I thought I had it all figured out though I've no idea what happens in the end.

[spoiler]All along I was thinking "OK, so its not so easy as this Japanese guy is evil. I bet they'll blame him for all the problems but he's actually some sort of priest working to try and stop the monster. This big flashy Korean shaman? He seems shifty.
But the Japanese guy is a daemon afterall. Huh.[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 13, 2017, 05:34:33 PM
I have watched it probably over a dozen of times and I never get tired of it. Such a perfect script. For a screenwriter it's like being in presence of the Divine.

How so?  I don't recall any breathtaking dialogue.  The mystery plot is kind of workmanlike.  What makes it so awesome to you?

Eddie Teach

Forget it, Yi. It's Chinatown.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2017, 12:52:48 PM
I have watched it probably over a dozen of times and I never get tired of it. Such a perfect script. For a screenwriter it's like being in presence of the Divine.

How so?  I don't recall any breathtaking dialogue.  The mystery plot is kind of workmanlike.  What makes it so awesome to you?
No wasted moments. Every scene has a purpose on the through-line of the story. It doesn't trick the audience; Gittes has no special knowledge that leads him to resolve the conflict. The dialogue is not cute, the plot is not contrived, and the action is to the purpose. It's a great script. It's like Towne took The Big Sleep and subtracted everything that didn't work (which isn't much, but it is enough to make a massive difference).
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

The Boy- The trailer intrigued me though I suspected the film might not be good.
As it was...it was OK.
Not too scary, a few jump scares only.
[spoiler]
1: I'm sure there were stuff in the trailer not in the film. The trailer had sex I'm certain.
2: So shit that it turns out to be a serial killer hiding in the walls. Its always something like that. For once I thought it was a cool creepy ghost film.[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 16, 2017, 10:22:21 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 16, 2017, 07:30:38 AM
Better Call Saul.

[spoiler]  He assumed he had to have been tracked.  We know he is smart enough to figure that any tracker will have a battery, and that battery will eventually run out of juice.  With the system he got for himself, he discovered that it will tell the owner that the battery is low.  So he assumed they would send a flunky to swap out the battery, so he spoofed the system with his own, drained the battery, and lured them out so that he could track 'em down, replacing their own tracker with his spoofed one.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]wow...that went over my head. But couldn't he assume, they would just change the battery and leave the tracking device in his own car?[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

[spoiler]I had soup for lunch.[/spoiler]

Josquius

The Discovery - cool premise. it has been proven that the after life exists. Mass suicide ensues.
the execution.... crap. same thing has been done many times before and far better.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Scipio on April 16, 2017, 01:48:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2017, 12:52:48 PM

No wasted moments. Every scene has a purpose on the through-line of the story. It doesn't trick the audience; Gittes has no special knowledge that leads him to resolve the conflict. The dialogue is not cute, the plot is not contrived, and the action is to the purpose. It's a great script. It's like Towne took The Big Sleep and subtracted everything that didn't work (which isn't much, but it is enough to make a massive difference).

Pretty much this. Everything has a purpose and builds upon previously laid scenes and moments, without ever being contrived. It feels like the story just happens to the protagonist, while in fact the gears of the script move like clockwork. Such elegance.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch