News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HVC on March 31, 2017, 03:32:55 PM
people on the internet really want it to fail because he isn't Asian enough, even though the comic book character isn't Asian.

Probably people tired of white appropriation of Asian cultures. Doesn't matter to them what was source material/that likely strengthens their resolve that said said source was also about appropriation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Asians make billions of dollars exporting their culture in gigantic media empires that have influenced people across the globe. Is it really appropriation when it is being aggressively marketed to us?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Tried to watch Shaft.  This is a really dumb movie.  Nice to see LT though.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2017, 01:31:14 AM
people on the internet really want it to fail because he isn't Asian enough, even though the comic book character isn't Asian.

Probably people tired of white appropriation of Asian cultures. Doesn't matter to them what was source material/that likely strengthens their resolve that said said source was also about appropriation.

And if they did that people would bitch that the only representations of Asians on tv are Kung fu stereotypes.

You can't fight against militant stupidity, you just have to ignore it and hope they find a new cause to feel insulted by proxy about.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on April 02, 2017, 03:20:15 AM

And if they did that people would bitch that the only representations of Asians on tv are Kung fu stereotypes.

You can't fight against militant stupidity, you just have to ignore it and hope they find a new cause to feel insulted by proxy about.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. Though, I think we would all have been better served had Iron Fist died in the pitch meeting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Season 3 Episode 1 of Rick and Morty available here with a stream of S1 and 2.

[spoiler]PHOENIX PERSON[/spoiler]!!!!

Habbaku

Quote from: frunk on April 02, 2017, 04:07:01 PM
[spoiler]PHOENIX PERSON[/spoiler]!!!!

:huh: [spoiler]I thought we all agreed on Cyber Bird?[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on April 02, 2017, 03:20:15 AM

Nobody* bitched when they made Elektra Nakios Asian in Daredevil. It helps when your show isn't terrible. If you're handling stereotypes, at least do interesting stuff with them and you'll be ok.

*I guess somebody did, but not in enough numbers to register.

HVC

I didn't even know the actress was Asian, I thought she was Hispanic.

But she's also not a lead character on a new show, so I dont think the comparison holds exactly.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Asian chicks are hot and make for ratings.  Asian males, not so much.  Who the fuck wants to see Mono running around in a Speedo as the superhero Office Drone?  Except Ed, of course.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2017, 07:08:57 PM
Asian chicks are hot and make for ratings.  Asian males, not so much.  Who the fuck wants to see Mono running around in a Speedo as the superhero Office Drone?  Except Ed, of course.

Wut
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Up in the sky! It's an un-recycled replacement laser printer toner!  It's a ream of 20lb multipurpose business machine paper!  No, it's Office Drone!

Ed Anger

Please don't remind me of reams of paper. I get flashbacks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

:lol:  "At this time, the rescue has become a recovery operation."

Sorry, bro.