News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

For the record, I don't really find either of them that hot. My personal hottest male actors are Ewan McGregor, Henry Cavill and Jamie Dornan.  :ph34r:

Josephus

Quote from: Brazen on March 29, 2016, 09:16:53 AM
It was the last episode of Night Manager on Sunday. Do yourselves a favour and watch it if you haven't already. Brilliant story and great acting the very best in British talent. And Tom Hiddleston frequently shirtless and/or wet  :goodboy:

For those of us on this side of the ocean, I think AMC is running this in a couple of weeks.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Daughter of Dawn (1920)

This film was produced by the Oklahoma Historical Society and had a very limited release.  The plot is a melodramatic love triangle/quadrangle between three or four Kiowa Indians.  The high point of the story is that the chief decrees that the two suitors must perform a test for the hand of his daughter; they must jump off a cliff the survivor can marry her.  (If the"The Dating Game" is ever brought back this is the premise they should use...)

The film is worth seeing since the entire cast is Kiowa or Comanche and the film was made outside the Hollywood system.  So the dances, the buffalo hunts and the costuming are all authentic.  Even the shooting location (the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma) was a reservation.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2016, 09:51:21 AM
So, not a Cumberbitch?  :D

Now that dude is funky weird-looking.  Great actor.  Funky weird.

celedhring

Just bingewatched the last 6 episodes of BoJack Horseman's first season. It's pretty damn great stuff. Great mix of humor and emotional punch.

Kudos for realism since [spoiler]the main character falls in love with Allison Brie's character.[/spoiler]  :wub:

mongers

If you have the chance, watch some of the Guy Martin 'Speed' series or some of the other documentaries involving him.

Last episode I saw had him building a monster custom bike and doing the Pikes Peak moutain climb in Colorado for the first time, we one his class too.

Week previous he and a mate set a new world record for distance covered in a tandem cycle, 569 miles, seriously tough challenge.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Krull. No joke. Forgotten how shitty it was. Thanks Sunday afternoon movie!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2016, 05:28:15 PM
Just bingewatched the last 6 episodes of BoJack Horseman's first season. It's pretty damn great stuff. Great mix of humor and emotional punch.

Kudos for realism since [spoiler]the main character falls in love with Allison Brie's character.[/spoiler]  :wub:
Nice that everyone is finally discovering this.
It it rather good.
Puts me in mind of Episodes.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I wasn't very impressed with it, but then I don't watch a whole lot of sitcoms these days.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Finished season 3 of Black Sails.  Wow!  Even better than season 2. :)
That finale was really, really, really good :)

Apparently season 4 ending will be just before the events of Treasure Island.  I wonder if they'll retell the tale their way in Season 5, expand on the material, give more focus on the characters we know.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2016, 03:10:25 AM
I just discovered this cool show called "Archer". :unsure: :blush:

Pam Poovey is like every rural chick in Mid-Missouri.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2016, 09:44:19 AM
I'm certainly not the most qualified for this, but I don't find him attractive or interesting. He's just ok. But well, what do I know.

He lacks charisma on screen, if you ask me.

Several actors look good, but have little to offer as to character play.
The most obvious example being Keanu Reeves.

Back in my early teens, I entertained three possible careers; actor, professional footballer and deadbeat writer. The latter was the easiest.
But I did study the greats. Like Brando and O'Toole. And while I am certain they were a metric ton better on stage, their presence in every scene they are in is just something you don't see very often anymore.

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 31, 2016, 02:08:56 AM
I wasn't very impressed with it, but then I don't watch a whole lot of sitcoms these days.

It does pick up towards the second half of the first season, when the character and season arcs get in full swing. It's not really a sitcom, since there's strong continuity between episodes.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2016, 03:18:26 PM
It does pick up towards the second half of the first season, when the character and season arcs get in full swing. It's not really a sitcom, since there's strong continuity between episodes.

Isn't Arrested Development considered a sitcom?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

More like a continuing string of self-referring memes made into sitcom.
"I've made a huge mistake"
"Mr. Manager"
"There's always money in the banana stand"
"And that's why you never (something)"