News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

The Tourist Starring Johnny Depp on vacation (aka puffy Depp), Angelina Jolie (&The sentient nightcrawlers she calls her lips) and some other people, directed by some dutch guy. almost passable faux-make of Charade or any number of similar mistaken (usually on purpose) identity and revenge flicks, etc. It even has the requisite rooftop chase scene, in Venice this time. predictable, mildly entertaining. I imagine in a few weeks I won't remember if I saw it or not.

5.1111 horny math teachers outta 10
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Skeletons - Oddest movie I've seen in a while. Kind of like X-Files meets Little Britain, maybe. It's about metaphorical skeletons, the kind that reside in closets. Many scenes had me :blink: just because they were so odd.

6.9 sullen magic chicks who don't speak til they are damned good and ready outta 10.

Josquius

American Being Human and Shameless- Is it just me being crazy/the contrast to the British show doing it or do the characters on these shows have American accents so much stronger than is typical of American programmes?
American Being Human is weird. Instead of a handsome guy and a normal ugly guy they've instead got two 'TV normal' guys.
Doubt I'm going to watch it. Though it could work out decent what with having a budget.

QuoteA buddy of mine spent a flight from California sitting next to Aaron "Chief" Douglas from BSG;  he said if you ever wanted a screenplay to die a cut-up, over-edited and rewritten death that'll have no audience after 10 minutes, sell it to SyFy.  Apparently, he wasn't a big fan of the channel studio bosses.
Wow, how odd. Surprising he'd be prepared to discuss such things with random geeks on a plane journey.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The vampire is supposed to be an attractive guy(I think he just looks weird). Certainly the hot chick who works with him was coming on pretty hard.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

The latest 30 Rock was unusually boring.
PDH!

Habbaku

The replacement Wellington in the Sharpe series appears to have his predecessor's nose.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Pedrito

The Social Network: very good movie, excellent screenplay, and I've always had a sweet spot for Fincher's direction. This made me want to watch Zodiac again.

The king's speech: Good movie, made to win the Academy Awards; excellent actors, good screenplay.

I'm watching and actually enjoying the second series of silly british TV series Misfits.

and a rerun of Band of Brothers.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Savonarola

Modern Times (1936)

Chaplin got sued for this one due to the similarity to his factory gags and the ones presented in À Nous la Liberté by Rene Clair.  Most Chaplin scholars think he never saw the film, since it had such a limited run in the United States.  Clair thought he had, but thought that the theft was no cause for concern since Clair had stolen so many gags from Chaplin.  A German company had held the rights to À Nous la Liberté, so the case was suspended when Germany declared war on the United States and wasn't resumed after the war years.

Paulette Goddard was the love interest in this one and became Chaplin's wife; shocking considering she must have been over 20 when Charlie met her.  She doesn't look a day over 14, though, which I'm sure helped.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

That was a wonderful film.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on March 22, 2011, 08:36:44 AM
Modern Times (1936)

Paulette Goddard was the love interest in this one and became Chaplin's wife; shocking considering she must have been over 20 when Charlie met her.  She doesn't look a day over 14, though, which I'm sure helped.

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 22, 2011, 08:47:56 AM
That was a wonderful film.  :)

It has great social commentary and some really funny scenes in it; but, in my opinion, it suffers from the same problem that all Chaplin films have, it's not so much a feature film as a series of shorts strung together by a thin plot.  From a story standpoint there's no reason for the tramp to be roller skating blindfolded or to be singing gibberish in a restaurant, but those scenes are hilarious.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DontSayBanana

Watching Every Which Way But Loose.  I'm starting to wonder if the Librarian from the Discworld books isn't actually based somewhat on Clyde...
Experience bij!

Slargos

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 20, 2011, 09:56:28 PM

Great. Wasn't just me then.

Yeah, new low for the series.

On Being Human US: I find that the werewulf is far less annoying in the US version since he doesn't shriek like a chubby little girl all the fucking time. I guess there's a point to the fact that the werewolf is actually a fucking pussy, but it still annoys me. I prefer the Underworld doggies.

The US version skirts a lot of the more interesting thoughts and scenes from the UK version, and really fudges the excellent pervert-vampire story arc, but that's to be expected from a US show, really. All in all, I think it's acceptable for a remake. It's pretty funny following Episodes at the same time for the lulz.  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on March 24, 2011, 05:20:05 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 20, 2011, 09:56:28 PM

Great. Wasn't just me then.

Yeah, new low for the series.

But Banks is back tonight!  :showoff:

BuddhaRhubarb

Black Swan. Very Polanski turn by Aronofsky. Ladeez iz Crazee seems to be the theme, and it's an olde one. But it works. great performance from La Portman. Nice followup to The Wrestler, and a better movie, less stupid diague, much snappier, and fresher in that respect. Is Ballet "fresher" than Rasslin? seems so.

8.5 dreams that we've all had about Mila Kunis outta 10