News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

And now the Conservatives are doubling down on their childishness and calling for the Speaker to step down.

PP doesn't have enough maturity or judgment to realize he just has to fight his natural inclinations, pretend to be Prime Ministerial, and the election is his.

Jacob

I figure they think it's in the bag already.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2024, 04:01:49 PMPP doesn't have enough maturity or judgment to realize he just has to fight his natural inclinations, pretend to be Prime Ministerial, and the election is his.

Going against the Speaker is mutiny.

It's something to be expected from the leader of the NDP, it's disgraceful, to say the least, when coming from the right.

He should step down and resign from office.  Let the party find someone calm headed who can lead his troops.

I don't think a member of the house should be allowed back in the Chamber until they retracts their words.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

It used to be the case that a member apologized on re-entry.  Not a requirement but a tradition. 

Barrister

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nijjar-killing-arrests-made-1.7192807

Apparently arrests made in the killing of "prominent Sikh separatist Hardeep Singh Nijjar".

This was the killing intelligence linked to the Indian government.

This could get "interesting"...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Seems to me that several of the arrestees seem to be from the Sikh community, based on their names.

I wonder if they were people who had their own issues with Singh Nijjar within the community, whether they were gangsters doing it for the money, whether they are loyalist to Modi / the Indian state, or some other motive.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2024, 02:22:01 PMSeems to me that several of the arrestees seem to be from the Sikh community, based on their names.

I wonder if they were people who had their own issues with Singh Nijjar within the community, whether they were gangsters doing it for the money, whether they are loyalist to Modi / the Indian state, or some other motive.

All valid possibilities.

Also though - if acting on behalf of India / Modi - you'd think the killers would have gotten the hell out of Canada afterwards.

I don't know even 1% of enough to form an opinion on this case, so I'm just going to observe with interest.

Although it's worth perhaps noting - the closest related case I can think of was the Air India bombing prosecution (although there Canada was prosecuting Sikh separatist terrorists, not the murder of alleged Sikh terrorists) and it collapsed in an entirely embarrassing way back then.

HVC

Are assumed identities totally out of the possibility?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2024, 02:50:35 PMAre assumed identities totally out of the possibility?

Who knows?  It's a breaking story.

I do wonder if they're trying to bury the story by having it announced on a Friday afternoon, but maybe such ideas are old fashioned in the world of social media.

crazy canuck

QuoteRCMP Assistant Commissioner David Teboul confirmed Friday the force's probe included "investigating connections to the government of India." He said there are numerous cases still open

Let's hope this investigation goes better than the Air India investigation, as BB intimated.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2024, 02:57:26 PMbut maybe such ideas are old fashioned in the world of social media.
No, not really, it's still there.

It doesn't work as well, but it's still working because by Monday there can be other things.

Example, last week, the political attaché to the habitation Minister of Québec was asked by an English Canadian journalist if the "right to lodging would be an item on the Quebec government's agenda".  The attaché mistakenly forwared her an answer he was sending to someone else at the cabinet "Do I ghost her again, or do I provide a non answer as usual?"

The story ran on Friday afternoon in the newspapers, first in Quebec, then in Canada. Of course, the was bloody outrage from the left.

By Monday early morning, the co-leader of Québec Solidaire had resigned and pointed a finger at the other co-leader's surroundings as the reason why she felt ignored and was exhausted and forced to leave.

The CAQ story was dead.  It wasn't brought again during this week by any journalists, not commented upon by any political shows.  Dead.  Only a few anti-CAQ are still raising the point online.  Conveniently forgetting we have a right to housing in the Federal law since 2019 and we aren't any better.  But it's the left, always unhappy, especially when they get what they want. ;) :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2024, 08:44:26 AMNot a requirement but a tradition. 

Conservatives ignoring traditions?  My, my.  What is our world going to. :hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2024, 07:53:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2024, 08:44:26 AMNot a requirement but a tradition. 

Conservatives ignoring traditions?  My, my.  What is our world going to. :hmm:

Yeah, Conservatives claim the mantle of being careful about change only when it suits them.

crazy canuck

Examples of how unfair the new tax is for people who are not wealthy.  All examples assume an annual income of 100k.  Not the 1% the Liberals claimed would be affected. 

The main unfairness is the tax rate depends on luck.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/519974dc5e28f762a87fb14c1570523f4fb873adfcfcb945043907ccc3c41650/D4DPCGIWO5HFLFSXKPN3SXZKUY/