News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I should add that when I first started coming to Europe it was rare to see a fat person.  That has definitely changed over the years.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on Today at 02:18:26 AMThese stickers are used by service in Germany when they are changing to winter tires to indicate that the tires have more limited performance than summer tires. So you should go no faster than 160kph / 100 mph or 240 kph / 150 mph in winter.  :)

Gut zu wissen! :)

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 08:49:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 08:43:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 08:21:35 AMI wonder if this will be the first generation when the younger men are weaker/less fit than the older generation.

Possibly, but one thing I can tell is that your (our) generation will not be the first which will NOT think the next generation is inferior.  :P

Really, in what generation do you think a man about 60 could look at a group of 30 something men and realize he is clearly stronger and in better shape?

I don't know if us Xers are the ferocious fitness fanatics as you seem to think  :lol:

What happened to us anyway? We used to slackers who were too cool to care, now I see Xers whining about kids today like they are lame Boomers.

We should be like:

"Kids today? Oh they're cool."

"Are you being sarcastic, dude?"

"I don't even know anymore."
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on Today at 03:14:18 AMStar Trek beat you, data can't contract words :D
True. Completely failed to think of him whilst my mind was on super old school vs. super modern stuff.
I don't see contractions being much issue for the robots though whilst other stuff will be more of an issue for them. Resurgence in rhyming slang to fool the bots.

Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 08:21:35 AMMrs. CC and I are travelling at the moment.  The local population (Sardinians) are generally fit.  A grandmother passed us walking up a steep hill...

But an interesting thing we are noticing about the Northern Europeans we see - the men in my generation have good muscle tone, but a lot of the younger guys are skinning fat.  Scrawny arms and pot bellies.  Or just plain fat fat.

I wonder if this will be the first generation when the younger men are weaker/less fit than the older generation.

Under current trends absolutely.
Though I do think trends are changing so things should reverse before too long with a decline in cars, rise in active mobility and so forth,
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on Today at 09:28:17 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 08:49:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 08:43:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 08:21:35 AMI wonder if this will be the first generation when the younger men are weaker/less fit than the older generation.

Possibly, but one thing I can tell is that your (our) generation will not be the first which will NOT think the next generation is inferior.  :P

Really, in what generation do you think a man about 60 could look at a group of 30 something men and realize he is clearly stronger and in better shape?

I don't know if us Xers are the ferocious fitness fanatics as you seem to think  :lol:

What happened to us anyway? We used to slackers who were too cool to care, now I see Xers whining about kids today like they are lame Boomers.

We should be like:

"Kids today? Oh they're cool."

"Are you being sarcastic, dude?"

"I don't even know anymore."

Well, I am not sure Americans have been the pictures of health, I am more talking about the Europeans.  The change over the last 40 years has been striking.

Jacob

I believe it's a well established fact that obesity etc is becoming more widespread across Europe. There are some North-South trends (and East-West ones too?), but I believe overall everyone is getting fatter at varying rates.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on Today at 11:20:22 AMI believe it's a well established fact that obesity etc is becoming more widespread across Europe. There are some North-South trends (and East-West ones too?), but I believe overall everyone is getting fatter at varying rates.

So this is just a pretty low sample size of the 20 guys I play hockey with, but the younger guys are mostly all fat while the old guys aren't.  But also fitness can only make up for age up to a point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2024, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2024, 02:40:10 AM"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action"

Let's see if a third happens :ph34r:

Is there a third whistleblower?

Third whistle blower has arrived, let's see if any misfortune befalls him :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.