Boys falling further behind in American classrooms

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 10:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Apparently the average 11th grade boy only writes as well as the average 8th grade girl.  :pinch:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41925657#41925657
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Clearly a result of gender bias in the classroom.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2011, 10:16:45 PM
Clearly a result of gender bias in the classroom.
Well yeah, students have to sit still, pay attention and follow the rules. Girls are suited to do those things at a younger age than boys are.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2011, 10:19:07 PM
Well yeah, students have to sit still, pay attention and follow the rules. Girls are suited to do those things at a younger age than boys are.
That would not be gender bias then, woud it. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2011, 10:24:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2011, 10:19:07 PM
That would not be gender bias then, woud it.
Structured school is biased in favor of girls, how is that not gender bias?

1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Weren't schools even more structured in the good old days when you could beat smart ass kids? Gotta be something else.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2011, 01:16:25 AM
Weren't schools even more structured in the good old days when you could beat smart ass kids? Gotta be something else.
There were different cultural factors at work that kept the girls down then.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Like the lack of beatings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2011, 06:15:05 AM
There were different cultural factors at work that kept the girls down then.
so girls got better, and boys stayed the same? i always here boys are doing worse in general (as well as worse then girls)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2011, 10:45:07 PM
Structured school is biased in favor of girls
I'm going to apply Sagan's Statement to that.  Generations of men excelled in a school environment that was highly structured and encouraged responsibility.  They invented it, for heaven's sake.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I'm going to put my kids into private schools. I have zero confidence in public schools these days.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Averages are probably dragged down by minorities.
Winner of THE grumbler point.