And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2011, 06:35:07 PM
Top-notch rant Marty.

Tough talk on human rights from a member of a nation of collaborators and jew killers? pfft.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

NPR was reporting that the rebs had captured/recaptured some town from the Kaddafites.  Hadn't heard of the town before, Amujibad or something.

jamesww

These rebels really need to get their act together, all they have to do is organise a couple of battalions worth of determined fighters and then drive the 600-700 miles up the coast road to Tripoli.

After all they have possible the best close air support the world has yet seen, the fighting is largley in open desert.  And they face an enemy who never seems to dig in, use prepared positions or plant landmines/IED the main road to stop the rebels, how difficult is it to just drive to Tripoli ?

And the constant celebratory gunfire is getting old.  :rolleyes:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps link=topic=4500.msg233792#msg233792

To get technical, there were no western troops there by the time Stalin took over IIRC.

That is technical because the relevant entity is the Bolshevik regime as a whole and because Stalin was already a big player in that regime by 1920.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jamesww

Reports that allied airstrikes are now hitting up the road toward Sirte. 

Palisadoes

Quote from: jamesww on March 26, 2011, 08:22:01 PMReports that allied airstrikes are now hitting up the road toward Sirte.

Good! We should have intervened sooner, and the UN mandate should be for regime change - Gaddafi is clearly oppressing his people and needs replacing.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2011, 05:48:39 PM
It always baffles me when people bring up events from nearly 100 years ago as some sort of justification for modern international politics.
I'm not surprised that you don't understand precedent and predictability.  I suggest you be less of a Slav.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2011, 05:58:48 PM
You are a useless lower class representative of a useless nation.

:lol:  Pot, kettle.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on March 26, 2011, 10:04:06 PM
You are a useless lower class representative of a useless nation.

:lol:  Pot, kettle.

Only half-true. I'm not lower class. I'm in 0.1% of top earners in my country.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 24, 2011, 10:45:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2011, 09:10:32 PM
Stalin's prewar regime enjoyed such protection. 

not so, the British, French, and even the Yanks had no compunction landing their troops and marching them about until their publics got too war weary to keep it up.

The Soviet regime subsequently stayed afloat because of the fatigue and opportunism of the outside powers, not because of their respect for the integrity of the Bolshevik state.

Indeed, and it's not like Poland got condemned by the international community when it kicked the Soviet's ass in 1920 and took a big chunk of Western Soviet Union (Western Ukraine, Belarus) in the process.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on March 26, 2011, 09:29:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2011, 05:48:39 PM
It always baffles me when people bring up events from nearly 100 years ago as some sort of justification for modern international politics.
I'm not surprised that you don't understand precedent and predictability.  I suggest you be less of a Slav.

The UN Charter is a treaty that regulates these things now so what happened before it was adopted is not relevant.

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2011, 10:12:57 AM
Quote from: Kleves on March 26, 2011, 09:32:53 AM
Whoever wins, we lose. By all means, though, lets keep bombing stuff for some indeterminate reason, for some inderterminate length of time.

Funny fact: Europeans like to hate America for bombing stuff in a "Leeroy Jankins" manner and selling their inconsiderate agression and ramptant greed for oil as championing freedom

And now Europe does the same. And -even more funnily- they do it over a country with lotsa' oil, and they call it defending lifes and freedom. And america-haters applaud them for it. Go figure.

Why are you being an unethical retard? Does it make you feel "smart" or "cool" to be cynical? You are a useless lower class representative of a useless nation. You are a cannon fodder, not one of the movers and shakers of the world - noone here is. At least I can understand why some Americans think it is only right to drop bombs if it is in America's interest - and ethics of this be damned. Can't understand why you take this view, though.

:lol:

I ALMOST started replying, then realized this passion of yours is no different from, say, the one where you defended the rape case of that director, or many other stances you took.

At least, my cannon fodder views are in line and consistent with my view of the world and what I perceive to be the interests of my country, and the culture I feel to be part of.

Whereas your views are taken from what is the Issue Of The Day in your gay circles.

Martinus

So preventing mass slaughter of civilian populace is not in your country's interest? Spoken like a true nationalist Orban follower. The Soviets did not rape you enough in 1956.