And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2011, 08:56:55 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 08, 2011, 07:35:07 PM
The moment we get involved, even with a no fly zone, we take on some responsibility for events as they unfold, and thus risk getting drawn into things further.  Fuck that.

Meh, I live in America and we are burdened with responsibility whether we act or don't act. Hardly a compelling reason to do nothing.

Not so simple as trying to placate the 'blame America' crowd.  Once we get involved, the chances of getting further drawn in increase exponentially - likewise do the PR costs of then backing away after initial involvement.

Josquius

With China- I've been thinking could a way to get them to agree to the no fly zone be to make it not specifically a NATO thing? Invite the Chinese and others to send over some forces to help out?

The Arab League not doing anything- The Arab league is the governments of the Arab nations. Just the sort of people being thrown out during the unrest in the middle east...If anything they would support Gaddafi I'd think.
However, Egypt really should be doing something. Spreading the revolution so to speak. But to do it alone...it would be too much of a war. I'd think they would be fully willing should the west want to get involved also though.

QuoteMaybe France will take the lead on this?

http://www.france24.com/en/20110310-France-NTC-national-transitional-council-embassy-Libya

With Sarko, all things are possible.

Would this see the Anglo-French carrier sharing at work? :hmm:

Would be cool for it to be a mainly EU affair. But getting people willing to join isn't the problem really, its getting the UN (China, Russia) to give the go-ahead.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

I predict disaster. The French will surrender after the first plane is shot down, and the British will respond by launching an attack on the French side of the ship to prevent it from being turned over to the Lybians, causing the carrier to sink.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on March 10, 2011, 06:29:14 PM

the British will respond by launching an attack on the French side of the ship to prevent it from being turned over to the Lybians, causing the carrier to sink.
:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on March 10, 2011, 06:29:14 PM

I predict disaster. The French will surrender after the first plane is shot down, and the British will respond by launching an attack on the French side of the ship to prevent it from being turned over to the Lybians, causing the carrier to sink.
:lmfao:

dps

Why do you think the French would wait till a plane gets shot down?

garbon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 10, 2011, 06:01:04 PM
Not so simple as trying to placate the 'blame America' crowd.  Once we get involved, the chances of getting further drawn in increase exponentially - likewise do the PR costs of then backing away after initial involvement.

I see it from a different viewpoint. We're already involved (especially when we have principal statesmen telling a dictator to step down); it's just a matter of how involved we should get.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

With China- I've been thinking could a way to get them to agree to the no fly zone be to make it not specifically a NATO thing? Invite the Chinese and others to send over some forces to help out?

No fly zone - maybe.  Sending over some PLA soldiers?  Absolutely no way. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 10, 2011, 06:37:11 AM
I've never gotten the impression that China would care about its citizens one way or the other.

In recent years, the communists try really hard on any and all disaster relief type actions.  Whenever there is some earthquake, mining diasaster, major traffic incident, even if they happen outside China, the Chinese government will do the utmost to help its citizens.  This is a great way of boosting legitimacy and it doesn't hurt the ruling class. 

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2011, 07:14:28 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 07:11:16 PM
Yes he does.  Chavez will send: El Condor Legion. :)
I forgot all about him.  Wouldn't that be fascinating if he sent some boys over?

What would be fascinating is how he got them there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 10, 2011, 08:57:26 PM

No fly zone - maybe.  Sending over some PLA soldiers?  Absolutely no way. 

It would be against China's long standing foreign policy of national soveriegnty above all else anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2011, 11:57:11 AM
:hmm: AirFrance?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2011, 11:57:11 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2011, 07:14:28 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 07:11:16 PM
Yes he does.  Chavez will send: El Condor Legion. :)
I forgot all about him.  Wouldn't that be fascinating if he sent some boys over?

LOL, that is a really good point.

As an American, I pretty much just take it for granted that we can get troops almost anywhere we want as a matter of course...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Mr.Penguin

France should go at it alone, with both air stikes and ground troops, a chance to regain some of their past glory and ofcourse improve the ratings of President Sarkozy... :contract:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Valmy

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on March 11, 2011, 12:26:20 PM
France should go at it alone, with both air stikes and ground troops, a chance to regain some of their past glory and ofcourse improve the ratings of President Sarkozy... :contract:

They would only do so if it was a former colony of theirs.