And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on March 09, 2011, 07:13:30 PM
Franco was the rebel.
I know, but there's no Franco figure on the opposition side yet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

JonasSalk

All of the "rebel commanders" that I've seen are refusing to show their faces (duh) and don't seem to be genuine commanders in any sense that they're experienced at this sort of thing.  Then again, I am hearing reports that the rebels are slowly becoming more disciplined and trained as the days go on.  Less a mob and more of a genuine force in their own right.
Yuman

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 09, 2011, 08:44:32 PM
All of the "rebel commanders" that I've seen are refusing to show their faces (duh) and don't seem to be genuine commanders in any sense that they're experienced at this sort of thing.  Then again, I am hearing reports that the rebels are slowly becoming more disciplined and trained as the days go on.  Less a mob and more of a genuine force in their own right.
I think the commanders are the ones who just managed to get themselves interviewed on TV. The truth is this is a decentralized mass movement like AA or Craigs list.
PDH!

Legbiter

Nothing 6 months of tribal civil war won't fix. The shit will float to the top.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

JonasSalk

Al Jazeera is following them around and basically egging them on, so no surprise there.
Yuman

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 07:11:16 PM
Yes he does.  Chavez will send: El Condor Legion. :)
We should hope that Chavez and his rotten regime are sometime soon on the rebellion list.    :ph34r:

Viking

I can't wait until China vetos the No Fly Zone resolution citing Libyan sovereignty.

If they get the resolution off quickly enough, the Libyan delegation to the UN might actually be either voting for or advocating for the resolution.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 06:49:34 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on March 09, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
Why don't the other Arab powers or the African Union deal with this?  Why does everything around the world have to be America and Europe's problem?  Can't China, the premier colonizer of Africa today, get in on this, instead?
It would be hilarious if the Chinese stepped in and intervened.  I can't imagine how we'd react to something like that.

China's number one, and probably only concern about Libya, is to get its 30,000 citizens out.  Since that has already been accomplished, Libya is now in the "who cares" category from the Chinese perspective.  Sure, they lost some lucrative construction contracts, but the Chinese companies can afford such loses these days.  China can buy oil from someone else.  I don't even think Libya sells a lot of oil to China in the first place. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2011, 10:42:44 PM
Why don't the other Arab powers or the African Union deal with this?  Why does everything around the world have to be America and Europe's problem?  Can't China, the premier colonizer of Africa today, get in on this, instead?
It would be hilarious if the Chinese stepped in and intervened.  I can't imagine how we'd react to something like that.

China's number one, and probably only concern about Libya, is to get its 30,000 citizens out.  Since that has already been accomplished, Libya is now in the "who cares" category from the Chinese perspective.  Sure, they lost some lucrative construction contracts, but the Chinese companies can afford such loses these days.  China can buy oil from someone else.  I don't even think Libya sells a lot of oil to China in the first place.

China probably figures that anything worth intervening in, will be done by the U.S. anyway.

And if it's not worth intervening in, but the U.S. does anyway, they can still take advantage of it (i.e. oil and mining contracts in Iraq/Afghanistan).

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2011, 10:42:44 PM

I've never gotten the impression that China would care about its citizens one way or the other. 
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2011, 07:34:46 PM
It's very concievable that the conscript portion disbanded themselves in the Iraqi fashion.
The Iraqi Army was never a unified force.  Much of it isn't "the Iraqi Army' any more, but rather the militias of the various rebel factions.  Some of the units may have disbanded, as you note, but since the army was organized along tribal lines (and was all conscript except for the cadres), the units would do so only if the tribal leaders ordered it.

The security forces have always been better-armed and better-trained for conventional operations than the army, a la Saddam's Republican Guard.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Maybe France will take the lead on this?

http://www.france24.com/en/20110310-France-NTC-national-transitional-council-embassy-Libya

QuoteFrance is the first country to formally recognise the legitimacy of Libya's rebel National Transitional Council and will open an embassy in Benghazi, the government announced after meeting with NTC representatives in Paris Thursday.

With Sarko, all things are possible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I look forward to the imminent French surrender to Gadhafi. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on March 10, 2011, 11:52:44 AM
I look forward to the imminent French surrender to Gadhafi. :)

QuoteThe First Rule of French Warfare - "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchmen."

Sarkozy is a Hungarian Jew  :Joos :Tamas
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point