News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gulf spill may be worst ever

Started by jimmy olsen, May 02, 2010, 09:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Well, looks like it's time to buy some BP stock.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2010, 10:03:40 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2010, 09:39:30 AM
Tim's comment on Obama allowing drilling off Virginia:

QuoteGood, for once I am pleased without reservation by an Obama decision.
Tainted?

In all seriousness, if Chernobyl and 3 Mile Island haven't stopped me from supporting Nuclear Power Plants,  this isn't going to stop me from supporting off shore drilling. This is the first major disaster since off shore drilling became big in the 70s. I'll want to see what the investigation returns, and then either support more stringent regulations or more stringent enforcement of regulations on the books, but I see no reason to give up on drilling.

Are you saying that this accident is in any way similar to Chernobyl or TMI?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 11:35:31 AM
Considering that BP apparently has unlimited liability in this (from what I read) and that US courts aren't exactly known for awarding low damages I don't see why this would be a good idea before you know how this turns out.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 10:50:40 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2010, 10:39:50 AM
This is a bad spill, yes. But I do believe that US regulations can be updated to require DHSVs on all new wells without issue and with some expense on older wells.
:bleeding: Great.  Hello, higher fuel prices!  :(
Given how inexpensive fuel is already, does a small increase really matter?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

This is a bad spill, yes. But I do believe that US regulations can be updated to require DHSVs on all new wells without issue and with some expense on older wells.

Not as expensive as massive leaks like this. With older wells it can be quite complicated. If the well is too old or too small a DHSV can't be patched into it, so some form of dispensation would have to be given.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2010, 12:32:15 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 11:35:31 AM
Considering that BP apparently has unlimited liability in this (from what I read) and that US courts aren't exactly known for awarding low damages I don't see why this would be a good idea before you know how this turns out.
The jury will award one quintillion dollars, but then the judge will reduce it to a couple hundred million.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2010, 10:53:02 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2010, 10:03:40 AMThis is the first major disaster since off shore drilling became big in the 70s.
Piper Alpha wasn't a major disaster?

Petrobras P-36 and Alexander Kjelland off the top of my head in addition to the Piper Alpha, although the Piper Alpha wasn't a drilling rig, while the other two were.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2010, 12:43:17 PM
Yes.  As an American I feel that regular 87 octane gasoline should cost ten cents a gallon.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2010, 11:32:29 AMThat's what we need:  a second fail-proof device, since the existing fail-proof device works so well!  :P

I don't actually disagree with you, its just that what you say about the DHSV is the exact same thing that was said about the BOP.  Two-valve safety is obviously superior to even great one-valve safety, but even it isn't foolproof.

At times like this where you are so manifestly idiotic I do make exception to me general rule of ignoring you.

In itself the BOP is manifestly superior to the DHSV, one being a massive arrangement with at least three possible closing valves and usually two choppers for severing wireline, coil tubing and drill pipe sealing the well as well. The DHSV is there not to be as good as the BOP but rather to be a last line of defense if the BOP fails. If the BOP leaks, the mechanical parts fail or the platform explodes destroying the BOP the DHSV will prevent the leak.

The DHSV is a backup for when the BOP fails, not a system to replace the BOP. It's like having a seat belt AND an air bag.

Slargos

Spontaneously, I would assume that the cost of installing this system would probably be lower than the cost of this type of accident.

How much of that precious oil is now wasted killing seagulls, dolphins and other cretinous parasites? The animals repopulate at a much faster rate than the oil, after all.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 12:59:18 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2010, 12:43:17 PM
Yes.  As an American I feel that regular 87 octane gasoline should cost ten cents a gallon.  :)
When I rule your country, gasoline will be ten dollars per litre.  Don't worry though, as your cities will have been rebuilt to allow for excellent public transit.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 12:59:18 PM

Hear, Hear!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2010, 12:59:33 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2010, 11:32:29 AMThat's what we need:  a second fail-proof device, since the existing fail-proof device works so well!  :P

I don't actually disagree with you, its just that what you say about the DHSV is the exact same thing that was said about the BOP.  Two-valve safety is obviously superior to even great one-valve safety, but even it isn't foolproof.

At times like this where you are so manifestly idiotic I do make exception to me general rule of ignoring you.

In itself the BOP is manifestly superior to the DHSV, one being a massive arrangement with at least three possible closing valves and usually two choppers for severing wireline, coil tubing and drill pipe sealing the well as well. The DHSV is there not to be as good as the BOP but rather to be a last line of defense if the BOP fails. If the BOP leaks, the mechanical parts fail or the platform explodes destroying the BOP the DHSV will prevent the leak.

The DHSV is a backup for when the BOP fails, not a system to replace the BOP. It's like having a seat belt AND an air bag.
Sometimes your inability to read makes you look like such an asshole that even I have to laugh at your redass!  :lmfao:

I said "I don't actually disagree with you," and your response is "you are so manifestly idiotic"!  :lmfao:

It is true that usually would be manifestly idiotic to agree with anything you say, but since I ignore the stupid shit that dribbles out of your mouth in all cases but those where I agree, I am going to call shenanigans on being manifestly idiotic in this case.

And, yes, I understand perfectly well what the DHSV is and what it is supposed to do.  In fact, I noted specifically that it is part of a general scheme called "two-valve safety," with which I am quite familiar as a former engineer in a steam-driven US Navy vessel.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Just rent a boat on the gulf and skim the top of the water.  Plenty of fuel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 12:59:18 PMYes.  As an American I feel that regular 87 octane gasoline should cost ten cents a gallon.  :)

Gas for personal use should be taxed $10 per gallon