News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wily Coyote Killed by Texas Governor

Started by alfred russel, April 28, 2010, 08:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

:lol: I can't imagine carrying a gun while out for a jog.

QuoteTexas gov. shoots, kills 'wily' coyote during jog

AUSTIN, Texas – Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger — loaded with hollow-point bullets — when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.

When one came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.

"Don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... if you're a coyote," he said Tuesday.

Perry, a Republican running for a third full term against Democrat Bill White, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown Austin while the Governor's Mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire. A concealed handgun permit holder, Perry carries the pistol in a belt.

"I knew there were a lot of predators out there. You'll hear a pack of coyotes. People are losing small cats and dogs all the time out there in that community," Perry said.

"They're very wily creatures."

On this particular morning, Perry said, he was jogging without his security detail shortly after sunrise.

"I'm enjoying the run when something catches my eye and it's this coyote. I know he knows I'm there. He never looks at me, he is laser-locked on that dog," Perry said.

"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it. It is now staring dead at me. Either me or the dog are in imminent danger. I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.

Perry said the laser-pointer helped make a quick, clean kill.

"It was not in a lot of pain," he said. "It pretty much went down at that particular juncture."

Texas state law allows people to shoot coyotes that are threatening livestock or domestic animals. The dog was unharmed, Perry said.

Perry's security detail was not required to file a report about the governor discharging a weapon, said Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange.

"People shoot coyotes all the time, snakes all the time," Mange said. "We don't write reports."

The governor left the coyote where it fell.

"He became mulch," Perry said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100427/ap_on_re_us/us_governor_shoots_coyote

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

QuoteI can't imagine carrying a gun while out for a jog.

I can't imagine jogging.

*cue leg break and cripple jokes*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2010, 09:36:04 AM

I can't imagine jogging.

Tim, you forgot to log out.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 28, 2010, 09:57:26 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2010, 09:36:04 AM

I can't imagine jogging.

Tim, you forgot to log out.

THAT HURTS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

So Perry is going the Putin route of impressing voters.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

I have shot coyotes before. Nasty bitches.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quotethe laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries

If only Jimmy Carter had one of those when he was attacked by that crazed killer rabbit ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on April 28, 2010, 03:28:03 PM
Quotethe laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries

If only Jimmy Carter had one of those when he was attacked by that crazed killer rabbit ...
It's better that he didn't.  Given Carter's luck and temperament, that would probably just result in having a crazed rabbit out there armed with a pistol.

Caliga

Too bad Marti wasn't there to tackle Governor Perry before he unleashed his homophobic* fury on the (quite possibly gay) coyote.

* Republican = homophobe
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points