News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bored... looking for game ideas

Started by Drakken, April 27, 2010, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2010, 03:14:19 PM
Cool - happy to play a learning game where we just tell each other what is on our hands, and talk about what we are trying to do and all that.

Which side is easier for a n00b? Allies or CP?

Berkut

CP is harder to win with, but easier to play for a newb.

There isn't as much "What should I do???" with the CP, I think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2010, 03:31:45 PM
CP is harder to win with, but easier to play for a newb.

There isn't as much "What should I do???" with the CP, I think.

Are there other documents that I need to read/know besides the Living Rules?

Berkut

Not really.

Make sure you understand the restrictions on how Strategic redeployment works, and definitely understand the supply rules.

Supply, or rather the threat of getting cut out of supply, dominate the tactics of the game. Oddly enough, so much so that with good play, nobody should ever be put out of supply (barring sacrificing units intentionally).

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2010, 11:54:35 PM
Drakken, I am always willing to teach someone new PoG, if you want to try a ACTS game.

I am ready to take you up on that offer, after Drakken's game.  I have the BG but never played it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Drakken

I'll breeze through the rest of the rules tonight, and I'll start a game tomorrow on ACTS.

Habbaku

If you want to learn sooner, Joan, I can start us up a game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

Been sick all day, couldn't find time to start the game. Will cruise through the rules tonight and start the game ASAP.

Been looking on ACTS on how to start one, though.

20 expansions cards and 7 card hands, Berkut? Which ones do you prefer?

ulmont

The standard is no expansion cards but an 8-card hand, Drakken.

Berkut

I don't prefer the expansion cards, to be honest.

Lately I've mostly been playing with the tournament modified rules. That uses an 8 card hand instead of 7, and changes some of the VPs around a little bit. I can send you the CB box with the tournament map, and a link to the slightly modified rules, if you want to do that.

Otherwise, vanilla is fine. I don't like the extra 20 cards, because it kind of messes up the deck progression.

0 rows returned

ulmont

Berkut, you should just start Drakken out on the 8-card hand and vanilla rules.  The tourney changes - while nice - assume you already have all the vanilla rules internalized.