And we're back!

Main Menu

S&P downgrades Greek and Portuguese bonds

Started by Richard Hakluyt, April 27, 2010, 11:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2010, 11:55:59 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 28, 2010, 09:44:41 AM
For some unfathomable reason my Marston's shares ( http://www.marstons.co.uk/ ) have been performing very badly since this news came out  :hmm:

I can't see the link at all, Brits are going to respond to a Greek default by not going to the pub anymore? Rather farfetched  :D

Does Marston have any exposure to the euro? If the euro goes in the tank, that is going to hurt their bottom line when reported in pounds.

It is an almost completely domestic company, directly and indirectly running pubs throughout the country and brewing a lot of real ale. It probably supplies some bottled beer to foreign beer-lovers, but the quantity must be minute.

What they are doing though is snapping up prime city centre sites and developing new pubs on them; so their debt exposure is high; perhaps the feeling is that much increased interest rates in the UK are only a matter of time given the circumstances  :huh:

Legbiter

Can Greece withstand another day of massive capital flight like this one?  :huh: At least it'll be much more expensive to bail them out now than it would have been just a week ago. There will be a run on Greek banks tomorrow if it isn't underway already.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2010, 01:09:23 PM
Instead of bailouts, wouldn't it be much cheaper just to make the rating agencies assign a higher grade to Greece, Portugal, and Spain?

Coupled with cracking down on speculative attacks Greece and Portugal have been complaining about, and all the problems should be solved.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Portugal and Spain could be next if the EU shrugs their shoulders and leaves the Greeks to default and/or exit the euro.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

I wonder if Greece will be the Eurozone's "Lehman's" - the first one allowed to fall so that the other governments expecting the bailout will know they can't be getting golden parachutes?

I love how fucking Greeks are going on strike against budget cuts and whatnot - a bunch of cheaters and thieves.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2010, 04:10:42 PM
I wonder if Greece will be the Eurozone's "Lehman's" - the first one allowed to fall so that the other governments expecting the bailout will know they can't be getting golden parachutes?

I love how fucking Greeks are going on strike against budget cuts and whatnot - a bunch of cheaters and thieves.
Hopefully not, considering that Lehman collapse led to a complete collapse of the financial system, and ultimately resulted in even bigger bailouts.

Martinus

Still, I'd like to see Greeks being left to hang themselves. These motherfuckers are the worst lot in Europe - not only a bunch of cheaters and lazy bums, they are also constantly creating problems and international disputes over some shitty rocks, names of neighbouring countries or whether Alexander the Great fucked guys.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2010, 04:19:57 PM
Still, I'd like to see Greeks being left to hang themselves. These motherfuckers are the worst lot in Europe - not only a bunch of cheaters and lazy bums, they are also constantly creating problems and international disputes over some shitty rocks, names of neighbouring countries or whether Alexander the Great fucked guys.

And Gaylord shows up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I told my mother the other day that my dream is to visit the UK and meet an actual gay lord.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Palisadoes

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2010, 04:45:57 PM
I told my mother the other day that my dream is to visit the UK and meet an actual gay lord.
Peter Mandelson?

Oh, and Spain has now been downgraded too.

Farewell, Eurozone! :bowler:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 28, 2010, 11:51:31 AM
Things are rather hectic here.

And they're real bad. Far worse than any of you imagine.

Currently, Greece and Portugal will be bailed out by Germany. What the Germans think doesn't matter.

The contagion is real and spreading. A spanish crisis is almost sure (got their rating cut today) and their bailout will push the Germans to the limit.

And there are even more countries on the edge.
Why is a Spanish crisis a sure thing? There level of debt to GDP isn't anywhere close to that of Greece or Italy IIRC.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martim Silva

Quote from: jimmy olsen
Why is a Spanish crisis a sure thing? There level of debt to GDP isn't anywhere close to that of Greece or Italy IIRC.

The GDP/debt ratio is really misleading. It is used by politicians like Zapatero to fool the regular folks who have no financial culture.

The key is weather the market has confidence or not that a country can honour its debts.

If a nation has a high public deficit, combined with low to no growth (or is in a recession), the market will charge an ever increasing interest for the bonds the country issues.

If its costs start to eat away at its ability to pay back the bonds, and nothing serious is done, then the market will raise its prices until the nation is effectively shut out of the bond market, or left to pay prohibitive interest.

When that happens, the nation stops being able to borrow. If it cannot borrow, it cannot redeem its bonds.

If it cannot redeem its bonds, it has to default (i.e. go bankrupt).

This can happen if you owe 10% of GDP or 300% of GDP.

To go bust you only need to be in debt.

Tamas

I share's Marty's sentiment over the Greeks.

Fucking lazy mofos with like 40% of the workforce in the public sector, they thought they will be able to operate their country on foreign money forever. Fuck them let them burn in Zimbabwe hell.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on April 29, 2010, 07:12:18 AM
I share's Marty's sentiment over the Greeks.

Fucking lazy mofos with like 40% of the workforce in the public sector, they thought they will be able to operate their country on foreign money forever. Fuck them let them burn in Zimbabwe hell.

He'll survive on potatoes and hunks of black bread, you have your wagon and beets.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive