my new build scratch pad thread

Started by Caliga, April 23, 2010, 10:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Like I'd trust Tiger Direct to send the rebate. Or give them my credit card.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

My only beef with TD is that they insist on using UPSuck.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2010, 09:14:45 AM
Never had an issue with TD...

Check your cards for extra charges. They was doing that years ago, but they may have cleaned up their act.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2010, 06:25:59 AM
The problem here is that I don't know if any existing AM3 motherboards actually will recognize the x6 chips, and I have no spare AMD CPU lying around with which to get the board to boot up and flash.

What I might do is buy the 1090T this week so I can get the rebate and then wait till boards start being released that support x6 out of the box.... assuming there are no boards that support the x6 now, that is.
AM2+ or AM3 MB will recognize these CPUs.  The worst that could happen, is that you'll need to underclock it until there's a bios update (wich should be out by the time you receive your CPU).

EDIT:
here's a list of some supported MB, ready for the X6:
http://www9.ncix.com/lp1/asus-unlock-mb/

If ASUS has it, other companies sure have too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

derspiess

I may have missed it, but why has an i7 been ruled out?  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I've decided that I like AMD/ATI more.  Intel charges too much for a product that is not proportionally superior. :)

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2010, 12:12:21 PM
I've decided that I like AMD/ATI more.  Intel charges too much for a product that is not proportionally superior. :)

I think the i7 930 is a pretty decent value at $199, and you can overclock the ever lovin' shit out of it.  Plus you get hyperthreading & virtualization support for XP mode.

If you are in Cincy any time soon, it might be worth paying Microcenter a visit.  They seem to undercut most other retailers on processor prices, and I was able to find my mobo & memory cheaper there than on Newegg.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2010, 12:12:21 PM

That will likely be the case so long as there are enough customers out there willing to pay the premium for the absolute performance Intel chips provide.  I'd take Intel chips in a heartbeat if I had massively parallel applications I needed to run.  (Actually, I might take the POWER7, but as I've said before the Nehalem is a shot across IBM's bow, not AMD's.)  However, after following your musings here I think I may go for an AMD chip when it comes time to build a new workstation.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 28, 2010, 08:00:08 PM
If you are in Cincy any time soon, it might be worth paying Microcenter a visit.  They seem to undercut most other retailers on processor prices, and I was able to find my mobo & memory cheaper there than on Newegg.
spiess, I don't have any immediate plans to come back to Cinci, but just out of curiosity where is the Microcenter there?  I used to go to the one in Cambridge, Mass. all the time and loved that place.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2010, 08:15:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 28, 2010, 08:00:08 PM
spiess, I don't have any immediate plans to come back to Cinci, but just out of curiosity where is the Microcenter there?  I used to go to the one in Cambridge, Mass. all the time and loved that place.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=QC&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=microcenter&fb=1&gl=us&hq=microcenter&hnear=Cincinnati,+OH&cid=0,0,2756685111709814927&ei=g5DZS9v0N4K2rAeZ2f3HDw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQnwIwAA

It's north of Cincy (just off I-275), so it's not exactly a quick detour if you're just swinging through Northern KY.  But from downtown, I can get there in 15-20 minutes.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2010, 03:00:42 PM
Sold out :(
they report it as in stock in their Richmond warehouse, shipping in 1-2 days...

EDIT
Ah, I gave you the Canadian link.
Here's the US link:
http://www.ncixus.com/products/52767/1055T%20%26%20GA-890GPA-UD3H/Bundle%20Deals/

they still have some in stock.