my new build scratch pad thread

Started by Caliga, April 23, 2010, 10:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

One thing that potentially bothers me about HAF is all the wholes in the case.  My computer is near a window, and I'm having a nightmare about leaving the window open unattended, and having wind-blown rain short out my PC.  I also wonder whether the holes let the dust in, especially when the PC is off, and the fans aren't blowing.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2010, 04:59:04 PM
Cal, I think you need to build a 2nd identical rig and store it offsite for disaster recovery purposes.  I'd be happy to keep it in my office at home :)
:hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2010, 05:52:42 PM
One thing that potentially bothers me about HAF is all the wholes in the case.  My computer is near a window, and I'm having a nightmare about leaving the window open unattended, and having wind-blown rain short out my PC.  I also wonder whether the holes let the dust in, especially when the PC is off, and the fans aren't blowing.

Yeah, it doesn't really let dust settle in but a lot of dust does accumulate on front holes.

But, filters are always available.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Buy a cheap dell and save the money for moar stocks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

No, Dell is of the devil... like Apple's (Satan's) little helper.

Hey, it looks like the AMD hexacores might actually be released on Monday :w00t: ... and they will be fairly reasonably priced, it sounds like.

Vricklund

Why are cases always so good damn ugly? Looks like the bastard cihld of a spaceship. What's wrong with a toned down case? Those things would have to live in the closet because they would never be girlfriend approved in this house. :)

Barrister

Quote from: Vricklund on April 24, 2010, 01:35:36 AM
Why are cases always so good damn ugly? Looks like the bastard cihld of a spaceship. What's wrong with a toned down case? Those things would have to live in the closet because they would never be girlfriend approved in this house. :)

Check out the Silverstone case I suggested.

Or, consider and Apple Mac Pro.   :)

Caliga

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2010, 05:28:24 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2010, 05:07:06 PM
I saw a couple nice reviews for this case:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=FT01&area=usa
uhhhh that thing costs $200. :blink:

And?

You clearly have money to burn - in fact it's hard to think of things for you to spend money on for this computer.  So why not buy a really nice case?

Caliga

I want to keep the build to ~$1,000.  Guess I should have mentioned that in my first post.  Plus, if I want to burn money, I'll do it on the CPU or motherboard.

Grey Fox

You said you wanted efficiency. You need a good case for that. I guarantee you won't regret buying one with a good airflow.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2010, 10:26:57 AM
I want to keep the build to ~$1,000.  Guess I should have mentioned that in my first post.  Plus, if I want to burn money, I'll do it on the CPU or motherboard.

Honestly today's multi-coe CPUs are the area you're least likely to see any improvement.  Even today very few programs use multiple cores very well.  You'll get more bang for your buck elsewhere - like a fancy case.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2010, 11:06:19 AM
Honestly today's multi-coe CPUs are the area you're least likely to see any improvement.  Even today very few programs use multiple cores very well.  You'll get more bang for your buck elsewhere - like a fancy case.

The current advantage from multi-core CPUs is in multitasking.  Depending on what you intend to run simultaneously, you could get a significant improvement in performance.  Obviously most people don't run anything CPU intensive alongside a game, but then there are people like me who run two EVE clients, Firefox, three instances of Gnumeric, and half a dozen EVE utilities simultaneously... :P

DGuller

The most amusing part about multi-core Intel processors is hyper-threading.  Yes, 4 cores is not enough, 8 virtual ones is better.  Never mind that programs that only can use one core go from using 25% of your computing capacity to 12.5%.