my new build scratch pad thread

Started by Caliga, April 23, 2010, 10:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2010, 06:55:48 PM
You don't need to only have SSD, the best bang for you buck would be to just put Windows there.
:huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 06:59:28 PM
You don't need to only have SSD, the best bang for you buck would be to just put Windows there.
:huh:
What I meant to say is that you don't need a big SSD, you only need an SSD big enough to put Windows on it.  Those are going to go for much less than a $1,000.  You'll use the regular HDD for the rest of your needs.

Caliga

Caliga

My brother just got done mocking me mercilessly for daring to consider doing an AMD build.  :rolleyes:

He's as bad a fanboi as the Beeb is with Apple when it comes to AMD vs. Intel. :glare:

grumbler

Another problem is that they are also very hard to set up, and require considerable start-up education.  Been there myself, not keen on repeating the experience.
That was true for early Vista versions, but not true for Windows 7, insofar as the tech journals I have seen are concerned.  That whole FAT32 versus NTFS thing appears to be resolved.

I am not sure whether Win7 deactivates defrag for SSD or not.  SSD life can be drastically shortened by a defrag or spinright operation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

So I'm about to pull the trigger. ^_^

Since I posted the initial build earlier, I've added a SATA 6Gb/s cable (not so much for the HDD I will start with, though it is SATA III ready, but really for the SSD I will add later.... the board doesn't come with any SATA III/6Gb/s cables  :huh: ) and swapped the memory selected with CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), which is a little bit faster and only slightly more expensive.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 10:04:33 AM
So I'm about to pull the trigger. ^_^

Since I posted the initial build earlier, I've added a SATA 6Gb/s cable (not so much for the HDD I will start with, though it is SATA III ready, but really for the SSD I will add later.... the board doesn't come with any SATA III/6Gb/s cables  :huh: ) and swapped the memory selected with CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), which is a little bit faster and only slightly more expensive.
The specs I have seen all say that the cable is the same for 6GBs SATA as for SATA 1 and 2.  You need quality cables, of course, but I would think that Gigabyte already gives you those.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Well, I was reading the Gigabyte motherboard manual for this model earlier (got the PDF off of Giga's website) and the listed included SATA cables say they support "up to 3 Gb/s".  The drive itself will be shipped bare, meaning it'll be in a static bag and wrapped in bubble wrap--so no accessories at all with it.  The cable is only $2.99, so I figured I'd just throw it in the order.

Grey Fox

Nice computer.

And you actually are buying a nice case.

You have learned well.

P.S. your bro is an idiot.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

:cool:

I'm a little bit weirded out by the bottom-mounted PSU, but everyone seems to think that's way better, so I guess I'll see.  I thought about getting the Nine Hundred 2, but the only major advantage I saw it having was the front mounted eSATA port, and I have no eSATA devices and don't envision getting any in the near future, so no biggie.

Of course he is... all fanbois are. :)

He did talk me into getting the Nine Hundred, though.  :boff:

Barrister

I think the 900 will be loud, but it looks like a much nicer case then the others you considered.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I decided to focus more on energy efficiency that noise reudction, hence the 80plus silver PSU.