Islamists threaten South Park over depiction of Muhammed

Started by Solmyr, April 22, 2010, 06:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

What if, from a financial stand-point, it makes more sense to have three days a week several hours that are set aside for single-gender swimming? For instance, the pool by my house is owned by the park district, but is in dire financial straights. Every summer, there is discussion of closing it.

Now, if it came out that a large group of people really want single-gender swimming and this could potentially make the pool solvent or - heaven forbid - put them solidly in the black, would you have the same objections? After all, if they don't do this, then the pool will be closed to all. If they do, then there's a good chance that the pool will be around for quite a while.

Mind you, I have my personal objections to this happening. I'm just curious how deep your concerns run.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

I have no problem with public pools having "women only" swim times if it is motivated by a bunch of women asking for the service because they don't want to be ogled by men all the time, or whatever.

If it is because the local cleric demanded that it be done because his god says it should be done, I would most certainly take issue with that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Grallon

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 23, 2010, 08:44:10 AM

Lack of testosterone?

Drop by Montreal sometimes Alci lad - I'll show you just how much testosterone I lack  :contract:

-----

As for muslims there's only one language they understand: violence.  Put them down and keep them down. <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josquius

Weird that such a big deal is made over this, as said it was just a internet posting and Mohammed was never actually shown.

What I would expect a big deal to be made of is yesterday's Supernatural. The Hindu gods are just pagan monsters who eat people. And Ganesh gets killed. Hindus have their crazies too (yes, just as bad as the Islamic ones) but I've seen no rumblings yet.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2010, 10:04:17 AM
Anyway those are not comparable at all.  Gay clubs are not restricted to gay only.
Some lesbian clubs are restricted to women only though :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2010, 12:02:18 PM
Weird that such a big deal is made over this, as said it was just a internet posting and Mohammed was never actually shown.

I believe the bit was cut due to the outcry and death threats.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2010, 12:44:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2010, 10:04:17 AM
Anyway those are not comparable at all.  Gay clubs are not restricted to gay only.
Some lesbian clubs are restricted to women only though :ultra:
They got sick of all the fag hags fobbing them off with 'eww i'm straight'?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2010, 02:27:52 PM
What?  That is an outrage!
I know.  Gay bars are flooded with women but they can't have even decidedly gay men.

To be fair some gay bars do ban women, but they're generally the ones with locker rooms.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2010, 03:17:06 PM
To be fair some gay bars do ban women, but they're generally the ones with locker rooms.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: Bluebook on April 22, 2010, 11:36:03 AM
What scares me is not the fundamentalists threats or their complaints. What scares me is the propensity to self-censorship that we (at least we in Sweden) see in the media. Newspapers wont print the offensive images, news channels wont show the offensive images. I do not fear islam or any kind of fundamentalism, I do fear the effects these threats seem to have on the media.

If you don't fear islam you are either very brave or very naive.
I'm not brave or naive, so I fear them.

If you think the only relevant issue here is the effect on western media, you are very short-sighted as well.

I myself see this as another symptom that my final conclussion that islam have to be modernized by force or else we the rest of the world will pay dearly, as the best solution to the muslim question.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Palisadoes

The Brain

I drew Mohammed and posted Him on Languish years ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I read the Koran and posted it on Languish last year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.