Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option

Started by garbon, April 21, 2010, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palisadoes

You don't have VAT in the USA? Hmm... I thought everyone had it. Probably why things are relatively cheaper out there?

Grey Fox

We don't have a VAT in Canada either. We have Sale taxes but they aren't VATs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Palisadoes on April 22, 2010, 07:00:35 AM
You don't have VAT in the USA? Hmm... I thought everyone had it. Probably why things are relatively cheaper out there?
One of the reasons.

Tamas

Okay, so you have a single example of a noticable welfare cut. But we are not talking about the USA here, at least not exclusively. My sweeping point is raising alarm over the europification of the States. That is far from being a clearly good thing.

Fate

There are sales taxes. Like Texas doesn't have a state income tax, so it has sky high property taxes and 8.25% sales tax because it tricks Conservatives into thinking they have low taxes. DERP HERP INCOME TAX EVIL DERP.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on April 22, 2010, 07:20:04 AM
Okay, so you have a single example of a noticable welfare cut. But we are not talking about the USA here, at least not exclusively. My sweeping point is raising alarm over the europification of the States. That is far from being a clearly good thing.
Germany had drastic welfare cuts in the last decade too. So it is possible in Europe as well.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 22, 2010, 07:20:04 AM
"Europification" (:bleeding:) of the US is neither good nor bad.  It is good when European solutions to US problems work better than alternatives, and bad when they work worse than alternatives.  Sweeping hansifications almost never make the hansificator sound smart, though.

If you are truly worried about the US, wake me up when Americans start tackling other Americans just because they are carrying guns.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grallon

There are talks here to switch to a VAT system which, according to many economists, is much simpler to operate and more fair for the populus...  It does seem that taxing consumption is indeed fairer since you have a choice to consume or not whereas taxing income leaves one with no choices.  But I'm no economist so I can't really comment further.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Zanza

Quote from: Grallon on April 22, 2010, 09:21:09 AM
There are talks here to switch to a VAT system which, according to many economists, is much simpler to operate and more fair for the populus...  It does seem that taxing consumption is indeed fairer since you have a choice to consume or not whereas taxing income leaves one with no choices.  But I'm no economist so I can't really comment further.
You don't really have a choice but to consume stuff either, do you? It's not like you can live without food, shelter, energy, clothes etc. all of which can be taxed with a VAT. All your income is worthless if you don't consume some of it eventually.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2010, 07:09:50 PM
a new value-added tax on Americans
Surely that depends if I eat Americans in or take away?

Tamas

We have both income tax from around 16% upwards, and 20%-25% VAT ^_^

Razgovory

We do.  In Michigan.  That leader in fiscal practices.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2010, 09:33:59 AM

You don't really have a choice but to consume stuff either, do you? It's not like you can live without food, shelter, energy, clothes etc. all of which can be taxed with a VAT. All your income is worthless if you don't consume some of it eventually.

You do have a choice when it comes to buying your 3rd car, your 5th blue ray player and all that excessive crap though.  Presumably the essentials are less taxed than the luxury items? 

Either way it cost money to operate a government and that money has to come from somewhere.  So it's either income or VAT or a mix.

Abolishing the govt isn't an option for anyone but the nutcases who'd rather live in chaos than pay their due to society.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2010, 07:08:40 AM
We don't have a VAT in Canada either. We have Sale taxes but they aren't VATs.

GST is a VAT.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.