Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option

Started by garbon, April 21, 2010, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 26, 2010, 12:19:47 PM
Eh, but didn't the supplier you bought them from have to pay when he sold them to you, even if you destroy them or whatever?
Let's say he paid 50$ for it and sells it for 55$.  He pays taxes on 5$ in reality.  Where as if you sold the good for 100$ (the costs of your good, your services and the profit), the government would make 2,25$ in taxes instead of 0,25$.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Pat

Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2010, 08:22:14 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 23, 2010, 01:40:39 AM
Only every twentieth man.

And I forgot, the employer pays about 30% of my salary as an employers fee to the state.

Wait wait your government charges a fee to companies for hiring people?

Threviel is not giving you the full picture.

The employer's fee is almost entirely composed of various social fees, f.ex. pension fees. For the benefit of the employed. It is paid by the employer and not by the employee. So it can be paid with untaxed money. Rather than be paid by the employee with taxed money.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Pat on April 27, 2010, 09:29:56 PM
Threviel is not giving you the full picture.

The employer's fee is almost entirely composed of various social fees, f.ex. pension fees. For the benefit of the employed. It is paid by the employer and not by the employee. So it can be paid with untaxed money. Rather than be paid by the employee with taxed money.
Pension contributions are paid for the benefit of retirees, not the worker who made the contribution.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2010, 10:02:01 AM
Pension contributions are paid for the benefit of retirees, not the worker who made the contribution.
That depends on the type of pension, of course.  There are pension schemes that work each way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

I don't agree with that at all. Private pensions have the liaibility calculated for future retirees, and need to keep funding levels to meet those requirements based on discount rates and estimated investment gains. If you were to start a new retirement plan only available for current workers, you would be required to make contributions even if you didn't have any retirees.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2010, 10:18:29 AM
I don't agree with that at all. Private pensions have the liaibility calculated for future retirees, and need to keep funding levels to meet those requirements based on discount rates and estimated investment gains. If you were to start a new retirement plan only available for current workers, you would be required to make contributions even if you didn't have any retirees.
Sorry if it wasn't crystal clear I was talking about Thrievel's pension contribution.

grumbler

In a defined-contribution plan, you are correct.  In a defined-benefit plan, though, the company would be managing the pension plan and would take excess contributions as income (while making up for deficient contributions later on).  You don't see many defined-benefit plans any more, so your assumption that any given plan will be defined-contribution is probably warranted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2010, 10:27:32 AM
Sorry if it wasn't crystal clear I was talking about Thrievel's pension contribution.
I don't think he is talking about pension contributions when he says "the employer pays about 30% of my salary as an employers fee to the state."  I also don't think that this is an employer's fee, but sounds to me more like unemployment compensation, social security-type payments, and the like.  Which, as you note, are not designed to be saved for the use of the contributor.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2010, 10:28:58 AM

In a defined-contribution plan, you are correct.  In a defined-benefit plan, though, the company would be managing the pension plan and would take excess contributions as income (while making up for deficient contributions later on).  You don't see many defined-benefit plans any more, so your assumption that any given plan will be defined-contribution is probably warranted.

I was talking about a defined benefit plan. It isn't common to call a defined contribution plan a pension.

In your typical defined benefit plan, you don't take excess contributions into income, you just don't make them. You also have to keep minimum funding levels under ERISA.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2010, 10:43:57 AM
I was talking about a defined benefit plan. It isn't common to call a defined contribution plan a pension.
In the US it is pretty common, though.  There are generally considered to be two types of pensions in the US:  defined benefit and defined contribution.  YMMV.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2010, 11:26:04 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2010, 10:43:57 AM
In the US it is pretty common, though.  There are generally considered to be two types of pensions in the US:  defined benefit and defined contribution.  YMMV.

I'm not going to argue it, but I'm in the US. I haven't heard people refer to a 401k as a pension plan, and part of my job is to work with benefit plans.

DGuller

It definitely shouldn't work that way for private pension funds.  Private pension funds should be fully funded, not pay-as-you-go.  Only when you get to the level of Social Security can you get away with pay-as-you-go system.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2010, 11:44:44 AM
It definitely shouldn't work that way for private pension funds.  Private pension funds should be fully funded, not pay-as-you-go.  Only when you get to the level of Social Security can you get away with pay-as-you-go system.

I think the Japanese found out that isn't actually true.

And the US is going to find that out as well - actually, we already know it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2010, 11:49:59 AM

I think the Japanese found out that isn't actually true.

And the US is going to find that out as well - actually, we already know it.

The ERISA rules don't make you fund 100%, plus they allow you to assume a rate of return on assets which is usually in the 8% range. So if you started 10 years ago with a plan that was already a bit underfunded, and assumed you would get 8% annual returns compounding over the 10 years when you actually got 0%, you end up with a severe underfunded status. ERISA requires catch up contributions, but there is only so much they require without pushing companies into bankruptcy. This is a big problem for our company, and we discontinued our plan a while ago.