News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ruins of Ani, Great Website

Started by Queequeg, April 21, 2010, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Heyo.

Thought this was a very cool link.  Lots of neat pictures, and a lot about the Turkish "reconstruction" of the area, and how many churches have collapsed/been destroyed over the last 70 years.  Some of it is really sad, but the pictures/drawings are still amazing.  Examples:

Drawing of a statue, including a hypothetical model of the Church that was in his hands, of King Gagik, greatest king of Ani.  His title is Shahanshah, he's Christian, his Church looks kind of Romanesque, but he's dressed like an Arab.  :lol:

This is from when there was a Museum there, and most of the Churches were whole, and the Mosque was in good repair as well.  In 1910. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

From Van Cathedral.  Looks really Gothic to me.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Is it really sad though?  Older cultures fade away and are lost, that is their nature.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2010, 04:59:53 PM
Is it really sad though?  Older cultures fade away and are lost, that is their nature.
This site was well preserved by the Tsars.  I'm sorry, but when I can say this place was way better off under the Tsars than under a modern, European-style liberal democracy, something is wrong. 

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2010, 05:10:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2010, 04:59:53 PM
This site was well preserved by the Tsars.  I'm sorry, but when I can say this place was way better off under the Tsars than under a modern, European-style liberal democracy, something is wrong.
Why?  Liberal democracies are more rational in their doings than autocracies.  If anything, they can be more prone to abandon the past.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Selective abandonment of the past based upon the fact that you don't like the ethnicity is different from turning away form the past.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2010, 05:24:14 PM
Selective abandonment of the past based upon the fact that you don't like the ethnicity is different from turning away form the past.
Not really.  Groups always tend to downplay those who occupied their land before them.

Queequeg

Not really.  There's a ton of interest in the Americans in native stuff. 

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2010, 05:39:16 PM
Not really.  There's a ton of interest in the Americans in native stuff.
Sort of.  For some people.  As a hobby.

Of course, the minute that natives try to use that interest as an ethnic weapon, most people tune out or get angry.