News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Massive virus, yay!

Started by Caliga, April 21, 2010, 12:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Our whole company's network is shut down, as well as Kentucky gov't computers including police cruiser systems and the 911 system. :o

Kentucky: FAIL. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Hey, I clicked on this thread and failed to get a massive virus.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Wow, that was annoying. I apologize. I think we should disable the scrolling text to avoid future recurrences.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

The Brain

They have Kentucky for computers now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

ELL OH ELL

McAfee pushed through an update to their enterprise customers containing a corrupt .DAT file, which triggered a false positive.  :lmfao:

The Brain

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 21, 2010, 02:15:13 PM
ELL OH ELL

McAfee pushed through an update to their enterprise customers containing a corrupt .DAT file, which triggered a false positive.  :lmfao:

Hilarious.  :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

You'd think it was hilariously ironic if you had listened to any of my diatribes at work about how antivirus companies are a total racket. :showoff:

The Brain

Pleated square frowns upon your shenanigans.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Octavian

Quote from: Caliga on April 21, 2010, 12:41:47 PM
Our whole company's network is shut down, as well as Kentucky gov't computers including police cruiser systems and the 911 system. :o

Kentucky: FAIL. :)

KFC - Kentucky Fried Computers
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Caliga

QuoteMcAfee Antivirus Program Goes Berserk, Reboots PCs
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: April 21, 2010

NEW YORK (AP) -- Workplace computers across the world got stuck rebooting themselves Wednesday after an antivirus program identified a normal Windows file as a virus.

Antivirus vendor McAfee Inc. confirmed that a software update caused its antivirus program for corporate customers to misidentify a harmless file. It has posted a replacement update for download.

Intel Corp. appeared to be one of the victims, according to employee posts on Twitter. Intel did not immediately return calls for comment.

Online users indicated that thousands of computers running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 were affected.

Peter Juvinall, systems administrator at Illinois State University in Normal, said the first computer started rebooting before 9 a.m. It quickly became evident that it was a major problem, affecting dozens of computers at the College of Business alone.

''I originally thought it was a virus,'' he said. When the tech support people concluded McAfee's update was to blame, they stopped further downloads of the faulty software update and started shuttling from computer to computer to get them working again.

McAfee shares fell 20 cents, or 0.5 percent, to $40.39 in afternoon trading.

Caliga

Quote from: Octavian on April 21, 2010, 02:22:05 PM
KFC - Kentucky Fried Computers
I'll have mine with the Thermal Compound sauce PLZ

Darth Wagtaros

Yes. I've been getting e-mail updates abuot this.  They have released a fix.  Fucking idiots.  From the lack of urgent e-mails and voicemails (I'm at home) I guess the liberry got spared this fuckup. 
PDH!