News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AGEOD's Civil war

Started by Razgovory, April 21, 2010, 07:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

The basic fact is that there were plenty of lousy Union commanders, usually political appointees, and oddly enough there were plenty of lousy Confederate commanders, usually political appointees. One of my ancestors proudly stood in the latter group - Gen Henry Wise of Virginia.

There also were some damn fine commanders on both sides - but rating Confederate commanders as far better because of post-war deification by Lost Cause retards is stupid.

Foote said it quite well, (to paraphrase) that the Union fought the war with one hand tied behind their back as the Northern economy was growing in all ways throughout the conflict. Had there ever been a chance of things going badly, they could have untied the other arm and REALLY whipped up on the South.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

I demonstrated that the Union could do much worse then they did in 1861.  I somehow lost Springfield Illinois.  I have no idea how the Confederates got there.  They also took Pittsburgh but that's not so bad.  I took Richmond.  Kinda,  My guys besieged it but there was so many retard generals cluttering up the area I accidentally moved some of them south of the city.

Is there a certain arbitrary point in the game where you can form corps?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Razgovory

Why are you yawning you beet eating wagon driver?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2010, 05:04:55 AM

The ability of you people to analyze the historic movement pattern of Grant's nanny's eyes, and its effect on the 2nd battle of Manassas is fascinating and scary at the same time.

Razgovory

You could have instead made yourself useful and answered my question about Corps.  I had to look it up instead.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2010, 05:10:58 AM

The ability of you people to analyze the historic movement pattern of Grant's nanny's eyes, and its effect on the 2nd battle of Manassas is fascinating and scary at the same time.

Tamas is so cute when he throws his little tantrums over his shitty WWI thread being sent off the rails.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2010, 07:54:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2010, 05:10:58 AM

Tamas is so cute when he throws his little tantrums over his shitty WWI thread being sent off the rails.

This isn't the WW1 thread, and that was far from being the only one thread derailed into an ACW discussion. Hell, there used to be an ACW-hijack meme FFS.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2010, 07:58:59 AM
This isn't the WW1 thread, and that was far from being the only one thread derailed into an ACW discussion. Hell, there used to be an ACW-hijack meme FFS.
:yawn:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 25, 2010, 07:12:11 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2010, 07:58:59 AM
:yawn:

Why are you yawning you something eating something driver.

Drakken

Back on the subject, the AI sending cavalry raiding deep in the North and the Midwest, deeper than any logistics and living on the field would allow, always kills the mood for me. There's so much suspension of disbelief I can allow.

I mean, JEB Stuart disappeared without a trace only to come back from the Twilight Zone late on the second day of Gettysburg, and he didn't go that far North. I don't remember Confederate cavalry reaching the Great Lakes either.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Drakken on April 27, 2010, 09:21:12 AM
Back on the subject, the AI sending cavalry raiding deep in the North and the Midwest, deeper than any logistics and living on the field would allow, always kills the mood for me.

I mean, JEB Stuart disappeared without a trace only to come back from the Twilight Zone late on the second day of Gettysburg, and he didn't go that far North. I don't remember Confederate cavalry reaching the Great Lakes either.

The game amused me by sending corps sized units on raids. Chopping Jackson up near New York or Bragg up in Cleveland always gave me a giggle.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive