Congressman to Obama: Push immigration or I’ll tell Latino voters to stay home

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2010, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Oh noes! Save us from all these violent Mexicans!

http://reason.com/archives/2010/04/22/how-immigration-crackdowns-bac
QuoteThe state has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants. But contrary to myth, they have not brought an epidemic of murder and mayhem with them. Surprise of surprises, the state has gotten safer.

Over the last decade, the violent crime rate has dropped by 19 percent, while property crime is down by 20 percent. Crime has also declined in the rest of the country, but not as fast as in Arizona.

Babeu's claim about police killings came as news to me. When I called his office to get a list of victims, I learned there has been only one since the beginning of 2008—deeply regrettable, but not exactly a trend.

Truth is, illegal immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than native Americans. Most come here to work, and in their desire to stay, they are generally afraid to do anything that might draw the attention of armed people wearing badges.

El Paso, Texas, is next door to the exceptionally violent Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, and easily accessible to illegal entry. Yet it is one of the safest cities in the United States.

In 2007, scholars Ruben Rumbaut and Walter Ewing investigated the issue for the Immigration Policy Center and concluded that "if immigrants suddenly disappeared and the country became immigrant-free (and illegal-immigrant free), crime rates would likely increase."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

The cartels keep their fighting on the south side of the border. Mexican police are cheaper to bribe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Woohoo! :swiss:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/26/BARD1D55P7.DTL

QuoteSan Francisco's supervisors are calling for a sweeping boycott of Arizona in the wake of that state's harsh new rules aimed at illegal immigrants.

A resolution that will go before the board Tuesday will call for San Francisco to end any and all contracts with Arizona-based companies and to stop doing business with the state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Someone should make a variant of that smiley waving a mexican flag to piss off derspiess :P

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2010, 12:27:07 AM

QuoteSan Francisco's supervisors are calling for a sweeping boycott of Arizona in the wake of that state's harsh new rules aimed at illegal immigrants.

A resolution that will go before the board Tuesday will call for San Francisco to end any and all contracts with Arizona-based companies and to stop doing business with the state.
:rolleyes:  Why doesn't the city refuse to end all contracts with US companies, since Arizona is simply applying existing US law on the state level?

My guess, though, is that this silly act by SF will please the people of Arizona immensely and harm them not at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2010, 08:04:22 PM
Oh noes! Save us from all these violent Mexicans!

http://reason.com/archives/2010/04/22/how-immigration-crackdowns-bac
QuoteThe state has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants. But contrary to myth, they have not brought an epidemic of murder and mayhem with them. Surprise of surprises, the state has gotten safer.

Over the last decade, the violent crime rate has dropped by 19 percent, while property crime is down by 20 percent. Crime has also declined in the rest of the country, but not as fast as in Arizona.

Babeu's claim about police killings came as news to me. When I called his office to get a list of victims, I learned there has been only one since the beginning of 2008—deeply regrettable, but not exactly a trend.

Truth is, illegal immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than native Americans. Most come here to work, and in their desire to stay, they are generally afraid to do anything that might draw the attention of armed people wearing badges.

El Paso, Texas, is next door to the exceptionally violent Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, and easily accessible to illegal entry. Yet it is one of the safest cities in the United States.

In 2007, scholars Ruben Rumbaut and Walter Ewing investigated the issue for the Immigration Policy Center and concluded that "if immigrants suddenly disappeared and the country became immigrant-free (and illegal-immigrant free), crime rates would likely increase."

Reason magazine favors completely open borders (as do most libertarians, sadly).  No shock that they'd make this claim.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2010, 09:56:59 AM
Reason magazine favors completely open borders (as do most libertarians, sadly).  No shock that they'd make this claim.

So do you think the statistics are wrong?

KRonn

Wasn't SF in some trouble, or still is, with the Feds for its open door policy on  illegals, problem being mainly for sheltering those who committed crimes? Something like that anyway.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on April 27, 2010, 11:47:23 AM
Wasn't SF in some trouble, or still is, with the Feds for its open door policy on  illegals, problem being mainly for sheltering those who committed crimes? Something like that anyway.

I don't know if the Feds got mad, but the rest of California did when we started busing illegals who had committed crimes to other cities...where they committed new crimes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fate

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2010, 08:00:36 AM

:rolleyes:  Why doesn't the city refuse to end all contracts with US companies, since Arizona is simply applying existing US law on the state level?

My guess, though, is that this silly act by SF will please the people of Arizona immensely and harm them not at all.

Under existing US law you question beaners and subsequently arrest them if they can't prove their legal status under "reasonable suspicion?"

Do you really think such a law, if enforced, will survive 4th or 14th Amendment challenges?

garbon

So what is the point of Fate? It seems a lot of effort to keep up a not clever, see-through charade.

Jaron

Fate

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2010, 02:01:36 PM
So what is the point of Fate? It seems a lot of effort to keep up a not clever, see-through charade.

There are plenty of GOPtards who oppose the AZ law on constitutional grounds.  :hmm: