News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

These were gentler, more innocent times

Started by Sahib, April 19, 2010, 11:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Heh, would not fly these days obviously. I think people were just less aware of the "creepy" factor back then - though it is obvious that the guy is making the kids uncomfortable. People probably thought it was just funny (ha-ha funny  ;) ).

Reminds me of reading old children's books these days that I read when I was a kid, they are just filled with shit that would not fly these days.  Like the original Babar, which had Babar acting as a gigilo (well, it was a French kiddie book); or the original Curious George, which had lots of stuff people would find objectionable - in one episode, George is walking down the road and two strange men drive up in a truck and say "hop in, we'll take you to see the circus"- and he does. (The men take George to see a circus and he has lots of fun, teaching tikes everywhere that getting into a truck with strange men is, in fact, a good idea -  These days, most parents would immediately think of poor George sodomized, murdered, and left lying in a ditch). 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Some books don't lose their moral lesson though, like Struwwelpeter.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on April 20, 2010, 11:30:59 AM
Some books don't lose their moral lesson though, like Struwwelpeter.

One of my favorites!

Though alas, not actually read in childhood.

I have caught myself quoting from "Augustus who would not eat his soup" to Carl though.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius