News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Parallel Universes

Started by jimmy olsen, April 19, 2010, 07:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on April 19, 2010, 11:13:00 AM
Didn't read the article, but even if you could travel in time you'd end up in space. The planent is traveling incredibly fast through space. if you travel back in time you land before the planet even got there.

I figure if they invent the time machine they can iron out such little quarks.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

I always turn a skeptical eye on this sort of thing, especially if it hasn't been extensively duplicated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Fox really shouldn't do science reporting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on April 19, 2010, 09:32:28 AM
Quote"Maybe somebody already has invented a time machine and our history is being constantly altered, but we don't notice the kinks in our path through time."

Interesting. So, somebody when back in time and....did what exactly? Defeat Germany in WW1 and WW2? Kill Kennedy? Destroy the Soviet Union?

Kennedy went back in time adn killed himself to save himself the ignominy of impeachment and scandal.
PDH!

Razgovory

Nobody would have cared in the 1960's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Didn't read the article, but even if you could travel in time you'd end up in space. The planent is traveling incredibly fast through space. if you travel back in time you land before the planet even got there.
HVC is Atomic Robo! :o

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

You err in assuming that travelling in time and space can be differentiated, and also in assuming that there is an absolute frame of reference.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BVN

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2010, 10:05:37 AM
The proper name of the sport is either Association Football or Soccer. Choose.

Says who?

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2010, 10:27:14 AM
Tell that to Galileo, Mr. Logical Fallacy.

Galileo was a smart man. North Americans not. Your analogy sucks...

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2010, 06:30:26 PM
You err in assuming that travelling in time and space can be differentiated, and also in assuming that there is an absolute frame of reference.

There's no absolute frame of reference?

Josquius

Wasn't that a key plot point of some crappy sci fi series of a few years ago...Seven days or somesuch?

But meh, time travel is silly for other reasons than that.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: BVN on April 20, 2010, 04:14:55 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2010, 10:05:37 AM
The proper name of the sport is either Association Football or Soccer. Choose.

Says who?

FIFA
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 04:19:54 AM
There's no absolute frame of reference?
Given Neil's oft-stated claim to be exactly that, this is a surprising position for him to take.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk