News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Have they made a Bernadotte ambassador again?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on January 09, 2021, 11:36:08 AM

It seems we have no French ambassador at the moment, just a head of the consulary section, Vice Consul Clément CALAIS.

I looked up the Swedish ambassador. Mikaela Ruth Gunilla Kumlin Granit. Not sure if that's her main job, because according to Wiki:

QuoteMikaela Ruth Gunilla Kumlin Granit (born November 1, 1967) is a Swedish diplomat who is the Chairperson of the IAEA's Board of Governors for 2019–2020. She is also Sweden's Resident Representative to the Agency and Permanent Representative to the United Nations and other international organizations in Vienna, as well as Ambassador to Austria, Slovakia and Slovenia.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

That's Ted Danson in a blond wig and glasses.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 11:46:28 AM

It seems we have no French ambassador at the moment, just a head of the consulary section, Vice Consul Clément CALAIS.

Does he know Ben Dover?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 11:33:17 AM
When I went for the Covid lab test today I walked past the French embassy. I normally pass it on my way to work, and the lab is near our office. We've been working from home for over two months, so I haven't been there in a while.

Normally, there's a police guard in front of the entrance. Sometimes they're replaced by a soldier, usually when police is low on resources.

Today there were two soldiers in full tactical gear and Steyr AUG rifles, a rather unusual sight in Vienna. :ph34r:

the rifles' model?  :P
Just two soldiers? Pretty low by US embassies standards. Soviet and Russian were once renowned for that too, less so nowadays.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 11:46:28 AM

En espérant qu'il soit calé, ce cher M. Calais.  :D

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 09, 2021, 12:33:22 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 11:33:17 AM
When I went for the Covid lab test today I walked past the French embassy. I normally pass it on my way to work, and the lab is near our office. We've been working from home for over two months, so I haven't been there in a while.

Normally, there's a police guard in front of the entrance. Sometimes they're replaced by a soldier, usually when police is low on resources.

Today there were two soldiers in full tactical gear and Steyr AUG rifles, a rather unusual sight in Vienna. :ph34r:

the rifles' model?  :P
Just two soldiers? Pretty low by US embassies standards. Soviet and Russian were once renowned for that too, less so nowadays.

It's rather unusual to have soldiers with assault rifles in front of embassies in Vienna. I assume it was more France-specific, because there was just the usual single police officer in front of the Syrian embassy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

This past weekend CB and I went to St. Petersburg, Florida to the Dali museum.  It's the second largest museum dedicated to Dali after the one in Cadaques (and most critics agree that it's the better as, unlike the one in Cadaques, Dali didn't set it up ;).)  Since it's the only museum in the Tampa area with any draw, it tends to get a number of excellent traveling exhibitions.  We saw a digital immersive biography of van Gogh's life, where the gallery was set up with a number of screens that showed a progression of van Gogh's works from his early Dutch period to his final days in Auvers-sur-Oise.  They animated the background of some of his paintings (similar to the film "Loving van Gogh") and set the exhibit to classical music from the period.  It ends with the field from "Wheatfield with Crows" (possibly van Gogh's last work), then we hear a gunshot and the crows all come flying.

As a sign of the times for Trump's final days the FBI had rented a number of slots on electronic billboards with a toll free number for information about Capitol Violence.  There was also a Trump car (well, mostly pickup truck) parade on the bridge over the Tampa Bay where everyone had their Tump/MAGA flags a-flying.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Have you been to the one in Cadaques? :)

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2021, 03:07:03 PM
Have you been to the one in Cadaques? :)

No, so I can't say definitively the one in St. Petersburg is better.  It does have a comprehensive collection of his paintings from his juvenalia to his final "Atomic Mysticism" phase; but his best known paintings are elsewhere.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I've been to the one in Cadaques, but it's a long time ago. It was pretty cool.

DGuller

I went out for a quick walk tonight, and when I came back to my apartment, I had four cops in front of my apartment door. :unsure: WTF? 

I walked towards it, not knowing what was up, and then I realized that wasn't my apartment, I was looking left instead of right, mine was diagonally across on the other side of the elevators.  One of the cops did see me try to go in that direction, and noted that it looked like I wanted to come to that apartment.  I assured him I didn't, though I suspect he only fully bought it when I successfully entered my own apartment with my keys.

I wonder what was up with my neighbor, though. :unsure:

Eddie Teach

Maybe you shouldn't economize so much on rent?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 30, 2021, 09:08:10 PM

Have you checked your files?

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on January 30, 2021, 09:36:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 30, 2021, 09:08:10 PM

Have you checked your files?
I lost access 10 days ago.  :(