And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

I think Luke had a deadline.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

I just received a text message from an unknown number.  The message simply said "happy ending"
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

This evening I had two boiled eggs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Austria's ex-president Fischer was in front of me in the checkout line at my corner supermarket. It seems he did his weekend grocery shopping with his son.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2018, 10:39:16 AM
Austria's ex-president Fischer was in front of me in the checkout line at my corner supermarket. It seems he did his weekend grocery shopping with his son.

What did he get?

Syt

Vegetables, fruit, meat, bread and the likes. Some wine. Maybe he has guests coming over (his apartment is around the corner). I didn't ask.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2018, 11:49:36 AM
Vegetables, fruit, meat, bread and the likes. Some wine. Maybe he has guests coming over (his apartment is around the corner). I didn't ask.

Where do uou live Syt? Fashionable?

Syt

Upper middle class, close to town hall.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2018, 12:24:15 PM
Upper middle class, close to town hall.

My wife used to live in Vienna, that's why I asked. We stayed in a hotel above city hall once.

Apparently she's lived in Kastnergasse, Pfeilgasse and Anilingasse.

Which might, or might not be close to city hall.

Syt

Pfeilgasse is near me; there's student dorms there that used to function as hotels in summer. Due to the vicinity to the university, you have a lot of students here.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Today I was at a funeral service in Stockholm Cathedral. It was a wonderful ceremony, and the surroundings made it extra special. All that history, and awesome objects like the big medieval statue in wood and bone of St George and the Dragon. Hearing the medieval bell toll, as it has for so many others through the centuries... Granted I've been to funeral services in older churches but never in anyone as grand. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I was driving home from the Pocono race, and my navigation system was predicting 45 minutes of traffic.  Not surprising, since the drive home after the race is always a congestion nightmare.  Suddenly my navigation system offers me an alternative route, which would cut 35 minutes of traffic from my drive.  I decided to go for it.

At first I thought my system was nuts, since it was instructing me to turn into the forest.  Eventually I realized that the gravel road cutting into the forest barely wide enough for one car was indeed my route.  :hmm:  I didn't want to be stuck on I-80, so I went for it, GPS always knows best.  After about three miles driving all alone in the middle of completely uninhabited dense forest in the evening, on a gravel road full of tire-killing potholes, I was starting to re-evaluate my latest and hopefully not last life decision.  I made a note for the future that this looked like an ideal place to murder someone and/or dispose of the body.  Luckily, after three more miles, I was back to civilization (well, relatively speaking).

After I got home and retraced my steps on Google Maps, I found out that apparently I wasn't the first one to think about how suitable that road is for certain activities, it turns out there were a couple of murders there in the last decade.  Perhaps I should not always follow my GPS directions so religiously going forward.  Then again, it was right about the traffic I would avoid.  :hmm:

Tamas

In a wonderfully careless manner, the gas meters of out apartment building (12 in total) are arranged on the outer walls of the building with everyone to have free access to them. Almost nobody bothered to properly label them.

When we moved in I was shown which one was ours and for sure, our flat number was penned on the information sticker of the meter. About a year ago or so I found this number to be gone and it seemed somebody put a fresh new sticker on the meter. I thought whatever.

Yesterday, as I looked at the gas meter for the first time in 3 months, I noticed somebody scribbled what seems to be a different appartment's number on our meter.  :huh:
This evening, I'll be knocking on that flat's door to see what's what.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2018, 09:51:16 PM
I was driving home from the Pocono race, and my navigation system was predicting 45 minutes of traffic.  Not surprising, since the drive home after the race is always a congestion nightmare.  Suddenly my navigation system offers me an alternative route, which would cut 35 minutes of traffic from my drive.  I decided to go for it.

At first I thought my system was nuts, since it was instructing me to turn into the forest.  Eventually I realized that the gravel road cutting into the forest barely wide enough for one car was indeed my route.  :hmm:  I didn't want to be stuck on I-80, so I went for it, GPS always knows best.  After about three miles driving all alone in the middle of completely uninhabited dense forest in the evening, on a gravel road full of tire-killing potholes, I was starting to re-evaluate my latest and hopefully not last life decision.  I made a note for the future that this looked like an ideal place to murder someone and/or dispose of the body.  Luckily, after three more miles, I was back to civilization (well, relatively speaking).

After I got home and retraced my steps on Google Maps, I found out that apparently I wasn't the first one to think about how suitable that road is for certain activities, it turns out there were a couple of murders there in the last decade.  Perhaps I should not always follow my GPS directions so religiously going forward.  Then again, it was right about the traffic I would avoid.  :hmm:

:ph34r:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.