News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2023, 01:19:29 AMOn public transport in Vienna they have those little info screens that display a mix of news, trivia, ads etc.

In recen weeks I noticed they made game recommendations (not ads, since they don't say where to buy them), but it felt a bit retro.

First they had the Tomb Raider reboot from a few years ago. I thought it was strange, because it's not the newest game, not even the newest in the series, but as a budget title - why not.

Last week they had Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time.

And this morning they had "Tired of waiting for Half-Life 3? Why not dive into the series where it all started?", suggesting Half-Life 1.

This morning: Tomb Raider III :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

I went camping today,
well I say camping, but a field wasn't involved and no tent was involved, but I did use a trangia stove in the garden!

I had to because the electricity went off for over 8 hours, so I cook some pasta for an evening meal and make some cups of coffee.

Electricity finally back on at 12.30am.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

8 hours?!
Does it happen often, for that long?

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 01, 2023, 08:31:09 AM8 hours?!
Does it happen often, for that long?

No Duque, this was due to a small fire in a neighbours shed/garage, that seems to have soemthing to do with the electricity supply in the road outside, so engineers we digging holes late into the night to repair it.

Plus they also damage the water supply pipe so the road/gravel track here was heavily flooded. :bowler:

Duque de Bragança

I see

I can only remember a somewhat long blackout, 1 hour orso, in the city, in November 2006, lamps went out in NW Europe, due to Germany again.  :P

In the country, brief shortages (a few seconds) happen sometimes.

Admiral Yi

I was out of power for like 7 days when I got derechoed a few years back.

Josquius

I went to see the Dead Kennedys tonight.
Only at the start of the show did I learn DH Peligro had died :(
They were pretty good but some suspicions I have had about a certain venue not being very good were confirmed. They were much better when I saw them somewhere smaller a few years ago.

The support band was a local bunch called Raoul Motorhead. This made me laugh more than it should.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Amongst the various museums I've been visiting over the last couple of weeks, I seemed to have done a fair few ships:

HMS Belfast
HMS Victory
The Mary Rose
HMS Warrior
The Mathew

and today, my favourite so far,  IKB's SS Great Britain in Bristol Docks, well worth a visit.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on May 20, 2023, 04:27:01 PMAmongst the various museums I've been visiting over the last couple of weeks, I seemed to have done a fair few ships:

HMS Belfast
HMS Victory
The Mary Rose
HMS Warrior
The Mathew

and today, my favourite so far,  IKB's SS Great Britain in Bristol Docks, well worth a visit.

Very cool  :cool:
Did you catch the monitor in Portsmouth as well? It's easily missed.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on May 21, 2023, 02:36:13 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 20, 2023, 04:27:01 PMAmongst the various museums I've been visiting over the last couple of weeks, I seemed to have done a fair few ships:

HMS Belfast
HMS Victory
The Mary Rose
HMS Warrior
The Mathew

Spot on Mal. :D

Yes I did miss it, well I had limited time and it closes early.

Maybe I'll go back next weekend and do it, the submarine museum and the D-day museum along at Southsea.

Maladict

So many cool things to see in that area. I'm still kicking myself for not allowing enough time to visit Portchester castle and the villa at Fishbourne.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on May 22, 2023, 09:28:48 AMSo many cool things to see in that area. I'm still kicking myself for not allowing enough time to visit Portchester castle and the villa at Fishbourne.

Yes I should pull my finger out and do a few more places over that way, problem is the rail service that way is rather slow.  :bowler:

mongers

Made a pot of tea today with water I 'liberated' from the Roman baths complex at Bath Spa; pretty much ruined some good tea, a rather soft, almost soapy water, unlike the nice hard water here.  :bowler:

Maladict

First time I've heard someone prefer hard water to soft.  :hmm:

Incidentally, is a resident of Bath called a bather?

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on May 21, 2023, 02:36:13 PM

HMS Belfast
HMS Victory
The Mary Rose
HMS Warrior
The Mathew

Yesterday I added your monitor M33 to the list, and later the Landing Craft Tank LCT 7074 down the road at the D-Day museum.