News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I had a file in court today.  A family dispute, which isn't unusual, but this family is Kurdish.

Today I learned there are multiple different versions of the Kurdish language.  This family spoke Bahdini kurdish, which isn't even one of the big two languages in Kurdistan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I was walking home today when some delivery idiot on a motorcycle (or scooter) blew through the red light, at the intersection I was about to cross.  He immediately wiped out at the other end of the intersection.  Lots of people near me cheered the instant karma, until they realized that he wiped out because he hit a pedestrian.

I stayed around to observe the scene.  Thankfully, while both people involved where lying on the ground dazed for about five minutes, they both eventually managed to walk into the ambulance, although the innocent pedestrian was bleeding from his face.  There seemed to be quite a few witnesses happy to describe to police what happened, so hopefully the asshole who blew the red light would get nailed.

Josquius

I took my son to the local library.
For some reason he was really interested in a book about Checkpoint Charlie.
I said we will go to Berlin one day.
He smiled.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

mongers

Noticed in Waitrose they had small 300g tins of Duchy organic oat biscuits reduced to clear, down to an affordable 6.79 quid a go, bargain!

At the check-out I noticed they're selling a canvas shopping bag for 8 quid, but since it's Heston-thingy branded it must be worth it. :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2022, 01:10:45 PMNow do it in a haiku.

Son at library
Wants a Checkpoint Charlie book
To Berlin we'll go.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2022, 12:10:37 PMI took my son to the local library.
He smiled.

I think it has been taken down

Zanza

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 05, 2022, 05:02:04 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2022, 12:10:37 PMI took my son to the local library.
He smiled.

I think it has been taken down
No, it's still there. Now a tourist attraction with a museum on the Berlin Wall nearby.

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 03, 2022, 02:16:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2022, 01:10:45 PMNow do it in a haiku.

Son at library
Wants a Checkpoint Charlie book
To Berlin we'll go.

Needs a seasonal reference:

Library visit;
Checkpoint Charley fascinates
Spring will see us there
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I thought the requirement was for a seasoning reference?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

A little bit of excitement.

Played golf today.  They've had trouble this year with people hacking up greens, but never knew who was doing it.

I get to the 13th tee (I'm walking) and I see two golf carts plumb in the middle of the fairway, and I recognize Scotty, the co-owner/groundskeeper.  My first thought is he's socializing, which I think is lame but I like Scotty so I light up a butt and let them do their thing.

Then I hear some raised voices, and Scotty grabs the two guys clubs off their cart and throws them in the back of his cart.  Then I hear him say "get the fuck out of here!"  He's an extremely mild mannered guy so I put two and two together.  I've mentioned several times that I'm the most chicken shit guy I know, but I decide I have no choice but to back him up if things get ugly.  So I walk toward them, maybe 200 yards away.  Fortunately for me they start walking away when I'm about 40 yards from them.

The end.

p.s. One of the guys was huge.  Like 6'3".  College kids looked like.

Jacob

Is hacking up greens something people do because they very poor at golf, or is it something more deliberate (or deliberately careless)?

In fact... what exactly is "hacking up the green"? Taking big chunks of turf out of green with your golf clubs every time you swing?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 24, 2022, 08:17:01 PMIs hacking up greens something people do because they very poor at golf, or is it something more deliberate (or deliberately careless)?

In fact... what exactly is "hacking up the green"? Taking big chunks of turf out of green with your golf clubs every time you swing?

Hammer it with your putter in frustration after you miss a putt.  It's a very deliberate act.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2022, 09:00:44 PMHammer it with your putter in frustration after you miss a putt.  It's a very deliberate act.

What a shitheel thing to do.

Barrister

I played hockey last night with my new team.  It's only our second game of the season, and it became obvious very early on that our team easily outskilled our opposition.  Even I, who is one of our weaker players, realized I could outplay the opposing wingers.

We dialled it back from 100% at the start, to 50% by the second period which ended 8-0.  We went even further back to like 10% which let them back in the game for a final score of 9-4.  Refs were pretty decent but it's hard managing a game like that.  My defence partner (much better player than I) was deliberately not shooting on net, always looking to pass - but even then the Refs told him to "stop being so elusive.  Make some mistakes".

(It should be noted I never get any such warnings)

Our team should get bumped up a division (or even two) fairly shortly.

Anyways, didn't actually mean to type so much about the game itself.  The real "everyday adventure" is this morning.  Didn't get off the ice until almost midnight.  Didn't get to sleep until after 1am.  My Apple Watch says I got 5 hours of sleep last night, and I was yawning my head off.

So I got a cup of regular coffee.  I always drink decaf.  If you're not a regular coffee drinking you forget how fucking powerful a drug caffeine is.  I'm now wide awake, but my head is just buzzing and my hands shaking.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.