jimmy olsen

Damn, didn't see that coming.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36597290/ns/business-us_business/
QuoteU.S. charges Goldman Sachs with civil fraud
Civil suit claims Goldman sold securities that were designed to fail

BREAKING NEWS
updated 10:55 a.m. ET April 16, 2010
Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.  $167.17 -$17.10  -9.28%

WASHINGTON - The government is accusing Wall Street powerhouse Goldman Sachs & Co. of defrauding investors in its disclosures about securities it sold tied to subprime mortgage securities as the housing market was faltering.

The Securities and Exchange Commission announced Friday civil fraud charges against Goldman Sachs and one of its vice presidents. The agency alleges that the company marketed complex subprime mortgage securities and failed to disclose to investors that a major hedge fund had bet against the securities.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 16, 2010, 10:13:37 AM
Tim: Blind.
Well obviously there were a lot shenanigans going on, but I thought it was creatively exploiting loopholes, corrupt accounting practices, and so on; not blatant fraud like this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2010, 10:23:53 AM
Well obviously there were a lot shenanigans going on, but I thought it was creatively exploiting loopholes, corrupt accounting practices, and so on; not blatant fraud like this.
Blatant fraud like what?

DGuller

Wow.  I didn't know the government had the balls to take on professional con-artists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2010, 10:23:53 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 16, 2010, 10:13:37 AM
Tim: Blind.

Astounding.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

Hmmm... bail them out then beggar them with law suits?

I keep thinking mass executions would have a more profound psychological impact and would curb excessive greed better.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Tamas

And of course they announce it during market hours, on options expiration day none the less. I guess the sec guys had some real nice insider action going.

And to think that most of the world thinks this is the free market. :rolleyes:

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2010, 10:51:35 AM
And of course they announce it during market hours, on options expiration day none the less. I guess the sec guys had some real nice insider action going.

Nothing says unfettered free markets like insider trading.

If you are trading individual stocks during earnings season, you deserve to get burned even harder than you normally do, Tamas.  :hug:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on April 16, 2010, 10:55:43 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2010, 10:51:35 AM

Nothing says unfettered free markets like insider trading.

If you are trading individual stocks during earnings season, you deserve to get burned even harder than you normally do, Tamas.  :hug:

Nah, I only had a small short so I actually benefited :P

But to do insider trickery as part of a government institution meant to stop those... well that is wrong

MadImmortalMan

As of now, GS is down over 21 points. Ouch. Good thing I go nowhere near US bank stocks.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

CNN had some discussion.  Turns out it wasn't just "a hedge fund," it was the the hedge fund that Goldman had hired to package subprimes for securitization.  No elaboration of how that hedge fund "bet against subprimes." 

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2010, 12:20:05 PM
CNN had some discussion.  Turns out it wasn't just "a hedge fund," it was the the hedge fund that Goldman had hired to package subprimes for securitization.  No elaboration of how that hedge fund "bet against subprimes."

http://sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2010/comp-pr2010-59.pdf

Summary: GS got $15 million to structure and market a subprime CDO. Paulson & Co--a hedge fund--had a role in picking the securities, but when marketing the CDO, GS disclosed only another party was the advisor. GS helped Paulson short the CDO, but a GS employee led another party to believe that Paulson was long. At the end of the day, the SEC alleges GS let Paulson help create a security that they were also helping him bet against, which obviously gave an incentive to create a security that would fail. The CDO lost over $1 billion, and Paulson profited about the same amount.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi