News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Attn] Habs

Started by garbon, April 24, 2010, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 25, 2010, 05:52:27 PM
Habbaku is not Habs.    :mad:  Even if he doesn't post here anymore, Habsburg has a permanent claim on that contraction.

Yeah, I thought that was strange as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 25, 2010, 06:10:24 PM
Interesting, martinus. So what matters to you is that Canada lets quebec go democratically, instead of Quebec's wishes in the matter? What if Quebec voted to stay in the union but was kicked out?
What if Quebec voted to leave by an overwhelming majority but Canadians voted to keep it in?
The wishes of the population of Quebec are less important than those of the country as a whole.
QuoteJust wondering, what if Russia votes tomorrow to add Poland to the federation? To make things fair, the Poles can have a vote as well.
Russia would have to have the military strength to occupy Poland and the moral strength to enforce their laws and collect their taxes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 25, 2010, 05:52:27 PM
Habbaku is not Habs.    :mad:  Even if he doesn't post here anymore, Habsburg has a permanent claim on that contraction.

I didn't feel like typing an extra B, since as you said, Habsburg is almost never here.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2010, 06:21:11 PM
All fucking secessionistas must fucking hang.  This board is Unionist, and built to stay that way.
You don't like it, seceed to EUOT.

Nonsense, we seceded here from there in the first place. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: JonasSalk on April 25, 2010, 04:28:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 02:06:44 PMI disagree. I am not talking about a secession that is done within the democratic/constitutional process, but as a unilateral decision by some "nation" or its representatives that is not a sovereign. If a government of Canada decides to let Quebec go, then it is fine. If some more or less arbitrary group of people decides to "secede" from a democratic country, they are either criminals or madmen, and should be dealt with accordingly.

Yeah, only the people already in charge should decide whether its minorities get self-determination or not.  Goddamn minorities always fucking things up.

The irony of arguing for the right of the south to secede so they can own slaves on the basis of minority rights is really quite impressive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

This board hates unions!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

And the Union! I can't stand MSil.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 25, 2010, 02:09:10 PM
@Marti - How do you feel about: Slovakia.  I think that was done with the approval of the Czechs, but I'm just curious and all.

I thought it was unnecessary. I didn't see the point.

Martinus

Quote from: JonasSalk on April 25, 2010, 04:28:07 PM
Yeah, only the people already in charge should decide whether its minorities get self-determination or not.  Goddamn minorities always fucking things up.

America just needs to rejoin the United Kingdom, then.

Last time I checked, people in American colonies had no say in the British government or British elections. Hence the system was not democratic, which was my main criterion. Besides, are you saying that Americans were an "ethnic minority" and that's why they rebelled?  :lol:

Martinus

For the record, I don't think minorities have any innate "self-determination" rights (if only because they are often completely arbitrary groups that can be theoretically divided into even smaller minorities infinitely, and it would be unworkable to argue every such smaller and smaller group has such "rights").

What matters is an existence of a democratic one-man-one-vote system and equality under law - as long as these criteria are met (i.e. a vote of a member of a minority is worth as much as a vote of a member of the majority; and members of a minority are not persecuted or have less rights than members of the majority) there is no reason whatsoever to argue that some minority group has a right to overrule the majority's will and unilaterally rebel.  :huh:

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on April 26, 2010, 01:09:53 AM
For the record, I don't think minorities have any innate "self-determination" rights (if only because they are often completely arbitrary groups that can be theoretically divided into even smaller minorities infinitely, and it would be unworkable to argue every such smaller and smaller group has such "rights").

What matters is an existence of a democratic one-man-one-vote system and equality under law - as long as these criteria are met (i.e. a vote of a member of a minority is worth as much as a vote of a member of the majority; and members of a minority are not persecuted or have less rights than members of the majority) there is no reason whatsoever to argue that some minority group has a right to overrule the majority's will and unilaterally rebel.  :huh:

Well it is not THAT simple: what about for example an ethnic minority's use of its own language? If they can't use it in education or town halls, they dont have less rights than the majority, yet they are restricted.

Berkut

Comparing the ACW to the American revolution fails on two counts, I think.

1. When the rights of a population or group are not being fairly accounted for, the first recourse is clearly the agreed upon political system in place. When this system is representative, the claim that there is a need to go outside the system for redress is very dubious. The South had perfectly fair (even unfair over-representation if anything) in the political system of the United States. This is not at all similar to the American colonies under British rule, where the colonists were not allowed equal representation to have their grievances heard.

2. Assuming that you cannot resolve your issues through the system in place, the only other choice becomes revolution and rebellion. At this point, your ability to win that freedom via force becomes the recourse - might makes right, under the circumstances of the time. So the American colonies won their war, which proves that they had the right to wage it to begin with. The South failed, which proves they did not have the right to begin with.

However, #2 is pretty obviously not ethically satisfactory - but it is the practical reality.

The first is the key though - the South was not some minority that was oppressed - quite the opposite in fact, where the South had political power far greater than their actual population warranted, and hence the succession of compromises and accommodations the North made throughout the first half of the 19th century. It was not the denial of fair say in their governance that pushed the south to rebel, but rather the realization that their over-representation would not protect their Peculiar Institution forever in the face of the continued expansion of the non-slave-holding states.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned