2K Games set to remake XCOM ... as first person shooter

Started by Syt, April 15, 2010, 06:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

This reminds me of the whole "ZOMG FALLOUT 3 WILL BE HORRIBEL CUZ IT WILL NOT BE ISOMATRIC WITH 20 YR OLD GRAPHIX!!!!!!!!!11111111111" thing.  Fallout 3 turned out to be pretty damn good IMO.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

How are the UFO games, btw? I see the trilogy is 20 EUR on Gamersgate. Or do I only need the last one?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

ulmont

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2010, 07:22:58 AM
How are the UFO games, btw? I see the trilogy is 20 EUR on Gamersgate. Or do I only need the last one?

You only need the first one, actually.  The second is just the first one done harder, and the third is somewhat different.

Galrion

the first one was the best.  2nd was just the 1st with a less interesting theme.  3rd was different, but the scope felt too small (defend a city instead of the world).

Cecil

Quote from: Galrion on April 16, 2010, 08:01:37 AM

the first one was the best.  2nd was just the 1st with a less interesting theme.  3rd was different, but the scope felt too small (defend a city instead of the world).

The actual third one was interceptor.

Cecil

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2010, 06:59:23 AM
This reminds me of the whole "ZOMG FALLOUT 3 WILL BE HORRIBEL CUZ IT WILL NOT BE ISOMATRIC WITH 20 YR OLD GRAPHIX!!!!!!!!!11111111111" thing.  Fallout 3 turned out to be pretty damn good IMO.

Are you stupid? That likeness was about as dumb as I ever heard on this forum. Stop eating all that gas station food.

Josquius

Quotethe first one was the best.  2nd was just the 1st with a less interesting theme.  3rd was different, but the scope felt too small (defend a city instead of the world).
Yes on one and two.
Three I found to be unplayable, couldn't figure it out.

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2010, 08:29:29 AM
This could be outstanding, if they handle the strategic element correctly.  If the strategic element is as immersive as the tactical element (which I assume will be like SS) this should be a big winner.
I've never came across a FPS with a decent working strategic element though.
It always feels like a bit of a superfluous extra. Like with Rainbow 6 I just found myself doing one 'mission' with one squad then switching to another squad to do their mission.
With Brothers in Arms it was just annoying, only to be used to get your men to stop standing around like idiots and give you covering fire.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I put instead my blue coins to good use and got me the original XCOM: UFO Defence.

Also picked up Zombie Shooter 2 and Alien Shooter 2. Both offer what it says on the package.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.