DOS games under Vista?

Started by Valdemar, April 01, 2010, 03:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

Hi,

Just stumbeld across an old favourite of mine, Tanks! and downloaded it.

I sued to be able to make it run, even under XP, but now with Vista I can't. The program starts up fine, but it only flashes a black box briefly, then disapears.

According to the website it should run under vista, though without sound, but Ican't get it to run.

I've tried running it under a compatibility as every flavour of Win from 95 to XP SP2, but no luck..

Any ideas?

V

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

DOSBox is Vista-safe.  Also, you can tack on a nifty front-end and not have to go hunting around the mess of directories in C: that DOS games create. ;)
Experience bij!

Valdemar

PLease explain? What does DOS box do (other than simulate a DOS enviroment) do I start it up, then start up games from in there or what?

V

sbr

Quote from: Valdemar on April 02, 2010, 02:37:39 AM
PLease explain? What does DOS box do (other than simulate a DOS enviroment) do I start it up, then start up games from in there or what?

V

I use it but don't know that much about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSbox

Syt

Quote from: Valdemar on April 02, 2010, 02:37:39 AM

V

IIRC it was often enough to have a shortcut to DOSbox on the desktop, then drag/drop your DOS .exe into it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

I use DOSbox with DFend-R (DOSbox Frontend Reloaded).  The Frontend basically is the lazy way out; you point it to the folder of the DOS game, you point it to the setup file for the DOS game, and it sets up a profile for you (including emulating serial joysticks with USB joysticks and gamepads).  Then it's just a matter of treating it like another folder and just clicking the icon for the game.
Experience bij!